WD Smartware Error Message/Backup Problems

I wish WD or WINDOWS will come up with a fix
TOM SLONE [Deleted]

Im also having the same error message “(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)”…
Im running:
Windows 10 Home.
Version 1607
on my Lenovo AIO Desktop

Looks like this is a long runnign problem… hope we get a solution soon!!
whats the point of a NAS if i cannot back up my files!!?? :confused:

Thank you!

SBrown from the WDStaff tells us that they have not been able to replicate the problem, and they seem not to have identified the concerned filepath.

The latter is difficult to understand, considering that the error message occurs on precise user actions (changing parameters in the “Set Backup Frequency” window and then clicking the OK button, or clicking the “Enable backup” button in the main window). Probably there are not thousands of code pages behind these actions, and not dozens of files accessed in those pages… Once the file(s) identified, checking file name(s) and location(s) and the corresponding access permissions on any user’s computer through remote connection is certainly an easy task.

Next, we will admit that finding the reason of whatever will have been observed might be a bit more tricky…

Very disappointed in WD. They can use my too computers to see the problem if they want TOM SLONE [Deleted]

It was suggested to me to run an Administrator Command Prompt program called DISM. When I ran this program it returned an error #1726 “The remote procedure call failed”. Could this be my problem causing Smartware to fail for me? Maybe this is the reason WD cannot replicate the error on their systems.

Not to mention that any developer knowing Smartware most probably does not need to look for the name of the file storing the scheduling parameters to get it !

My apologies for the post on file backup in the continuous mode. Had contact with WD support today and it was pointed out to me that I had not selected anything for backup. Somehow I had “lost” my selections and did not notice it. It does continue to work in continuous mode. After a 1 hour session with WD connected to my computer though, scheduled backup mode continues to fail with the same error. After emailing some files generated by the tech, I was told I should hear from someone within a few days.

I am in the same boat as the rest of the Windows 10 community running SmartWare Pro 2.4.16.
I just intstalled a new WD 8TB external hardrive and get the noted error message that the system cannot find the path specified. At first the SmartWare Pro software would see the new WD drive, but now the software does not see this drive on my PC. I wrote a problem report to WD Tech Service, but from what I have read here I have little hope a solution is at hand!

I noticed my files were not all being backed up. I only power the drive on once every week or two to do the backups. I was using the individual file / directory backup method. Some files / directories were being backed from some of my drives and others were not. I was using Smartware 2_4_16_16. I saw someone post where reverting to 2_4_12 solved the problem for them. I had the 2_4_12 version. I deinstalled all the 2_4_16_16 software and installed the 12_4_12 versions. Now all the backups look like they are working. Never noticed a problem before. I will have to see if all is well with the 12_4_12 backups. Am using Windows 7 32bit.

For what it is worth, I am also having this problem.

This is beyond just a small problem. This has some much further implications.

Help please, a fix is necessary.

How much longer does WD expect their customers to wait for a fix? It is time to start applying pressure via social media and news outlets such as CNET.

I too have this problem - helpful local computer shop was baffled too.
Ultra is clearly incompatible with Windows 10, they just aren’t saying so. Will this encourage me to buy a replacement product from WD ?
No, no, and no. They are exploiting customers cynically.
Goodbye WD.

Still no solution?
Difficult to believe we are the only ones having this problem…

The way if doesn’t really manifest itself with error messages, and wild or off the wall happenings, I would not be a bit surprised if there are many more with the problem and don’t know it!

This is beyond frustrating. Digging deeper, no new folders or files are being written, even though it is set up to do constant backup.

Terrible. I am looking for another solution at this point. My photo library is at risk as never before, I have always had some kind of backup system, and yes they wear out, but not usually in the first year.

Still some of the best disks on the market WD, but your servers…well not so much if I were to be asked.

I am the proud new owner of a different brand external back-up hard drive now. Within six months of the initial notice to WD you would think that a company that is supposed to be a worldwide leader in hard drives could fix a simple software program. Obviously the Emperor has not clothes. I am recommending to everyone that I know to drop WD and move on to a different brand.

The WD My Cloud Drive itself is solid. It is the WD Smartware package that is the problem. I switched to SyncBack PRO software and it works flawlessly. I backup all of our machines without any issues.

I have the same problem of all other users. SmartWare stopped allowing me to control when back ups are scheduled. I receive the “system cannot find path specified. Error 0x80070003.”
Pathetic. WD needs to do better. If it expects users to purchase premium products, the software has to work. This problem has been plaguing users for some 7 months.
WD time for a fix.

Two hard drive failures in the last month. WD Smartware was not running correctly for 3 years. No notifications Thanks WD, you cost me over $1000 in drive recovery fees.

I stumbled into what I think is a fix for the HRESULT error. Recently I had a system problem that caused me to reinstall Windows 10 and all my personal files and apps including reinstalling Smartware. When I reinstalled Windows 10, it loaded version 1607 Build 14393.0 (no windows updates). I then did a Windows update which downloaded and installed 3 updates (apparently Microsoft combines previous updates when it reinstalls updates at a later date than when first released) taking me back to Build 14393.693. I then reinstalled Smartware, I did not have to uninstall Smartware as my system problem had wiped it out. I then tried Smartware backups in all modes and I did not get the HRESULT error. This indicates to me that the problem was caused by Windows update to a small number of people/systems. That would also explain why WD cannot replicate the problem on their systems and hence cannot provide a fix. It would be interesting to me if someone who is still experiencing the problem would uninstall (Settings-Update History-uninstall updates) all Windows updates since the 1607 release taking it back to Build 14393.0 then do a Windows update to get back to Build 14393.693 and see if that fixes their problem. This would not take much time and probably would fix the problem.

Still no resolution. I have been watching this for some time waiting for an answer. Guess I will stop and move solutions. Unsatisfactory. Going back versions of Windows does not seem like a simple solution to fix what seems to be a small problem. Better buying another solution that works. Why does it work in continuous but not scheduled? Should they not be able to put a trace on someone’s machine?