WD Smartware Error Message/Backup Problems

Where does one find Smartware 2.4.12? when I go to the WD download page it only listed Version 2.4.16.

My experience is that Smartware 2.4.16 works in the continuous mode but not in the scheduled mode. It also seems that in the continuous mode I sometimes have to X out the error to get it working.

Smartware 2.4.12 doesn’t work in the scheduled mode too, but works better than 2.4.16 without error message (Exception from HRESULT: 0X80070003). I suggest to select Windows 8 compatibility mode for Smartware, Backup Engine and Quick View programs.

Hello, I am also having the same problem.

There are now 14 days left on my trial license that came with my WDElements Drive and I have received no reply or update to my posting of the 28th September. Right now the chances of me purchasing a full version is absolutely zero. Why would I purchase non functional software after a failed trial?
Can WD provide an update or a solution? Altenatively would anyone else like to recommend alternative backup software or should I revert t windows backup

Same problem error 0x80070003, had tech support work on it 2 hours they could not fix it.

Here’s what worked for me.

• Windows 7 updated to Windows 10 and then AU and Smartware still works.
  • Windows 10 and then updated to AU and Smartware still works.
  • Windows 10 and then updated to AU and Smartware is not working

Ran CCleaner, AML Cleaner and Wise Care 365
Cleaned out C:\temp, C:\Windows\Temp and it’s working again

NOTE: You may need to uninstall Smartware, delete all the residual files and folders in Appdata directory, reboot and reinstall. ← I didn’t have to do that

was contacted today 10/13/2016 by WD Support, that they are of the problem & will contact me when thay have a update to fix it. error = 0x80070003

On WIN10 getting this error too.

Dragging & dropping is a drag. Still no resolution as of Oct 23rd.

I have given up on WD Smartware Pro for this reason. I am using SYNCBAK Pro and it is much better.

Add me to the list. I was told to uninstall/reinstall when it clearly doesnt fix the problem.

tried going back to a previous version supplied on the Passport drive (2.4.2). Same problem.

IT WORKS!, with continuous backup enabled!!

Having two computers in our house, I could identify that as a result of this bug, you find yourself in one out of two situations. In both cases you have a way to have your files backed up, although, of course, not as practical. (If you are satisfied with the continuous backup running permanently, you will not be interested by the following).

• Situation 1: If you can see a small “clock” icon at the right of the “Set Backup Frequency” button, though the automatic backup no longer works you can still launch it manually. To do so, click the “clock” icon and just press the “launch backup now” in the pop-up window. Naturally, it will take some time to complete, especially on the 1st relaunch.
    Note: in situation 1, NEVER click the “Disable backup”, otherwise you will fall in situation 2 with no return.
  • Situation 2: If no such icon is present, you can still select “Continuous Backup” in the “Set Backup Frequency” window (just forget the error message if any), and then click the “Enable backup” button in the main window. This will start the process, which should work properly.
    If you don’t want to have the continuous process permanently running on your computer, you can still suspend it. To do so, click the “Disable backup” button – changing the option to “Scheduled Backup” will have the same effect (as the scheduled backup is no longer working).
    The disadvantage of situation 2 is that controlling the completion of the process is uneasy.

For information : after reporting an incident to WD, which initiated a series of many manipulations without success, I was told that the problem was due to a Microsoft module and hence beyond their responsibility. Finally they recommended either to use third party software, or to carry out a complete reinstallation of Windows.

somebody should fix it, ether WD or Microsoft should.if not i will not buy WD or Microsoft products in the future. TOM

How much longer do we have to wait for a fix from WD???

Hello Smartware Users,

The issues reported with WD Smartware in this thread have been escalated beyond technical support.
At this time, we have not been able to replicate any of the issues reported using multiple machines and different configurations.

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: 0x80070003

This typically occurs when Windows cannot find the specific path for some reason.
IE: Registry or perhaps even a .Net issue

I just upgraded to Windows 10 1607 Build 14393.447. After the upgrade I uninstalled Smartware, then reinstalled Smartware Pro 2.4.16. I still get this 0x80070003 error. It is beyond my comprehension that WD cannot replicate the error. Previously I had a WD tech take control of my computer and he could see the error. How does WD explain that?

I let WD take control of my computer & they saw the error also. [Deleted]

With the latest Windows 10 upgrade I seem to have lost more ground with Smartware Pro 2.4.16. I previously could do a “file backup” in continuous mode, now I cannot even do that. When I hit the enable button nothing happens no matter how many times I hit it. I’m beginning to think this is a Windows 10 problem. Has WD considered this?