Wd smartware caviar green

hi…can i install wd smartware on my (external)caviar green 2tb(+box)??

p.s. i need a startup password for my hd…

thanks…

Hello, 

Looks like the drive you mention is not an external drive . Assuming you have a My Book external and you recently purchased , all you need to do is installed from the drive it self. If you have any problems you can also download the 

latest version @ WD’s website. 

dave00 wrote:

hi…can i install wd smartware on my (external)caviar green 2tb(+box)??

p.s. i need a startup password for my hd…

thanks…

Nope, Smartware only works with the drives that come with Smartware… And Smartware is only for backups, not encryption (The MyBook Live uses Smartware, but it can’t be encrypted with it).

On the other hand, if you just need a Password for your drive then if you run Windows Ultimate (Vista or 7) then you can use BitLocker to encrypt the drive, you can also Google “encryption software” and you’ll get a lot of hits!

Hope it helps =)

the hd is internal…now external with the box…(sorry for my english)…

sooo…i need only a software that lock the hd(with a startup password) and not a software that encrypt all the files(or the drive)…it is possible?

…i think this function of smartware works only on the my book essential and elite(look the site)…and i think that in these “box” there are the caviar green…but i 'm not sure of this…

thanks for the replies…

They have green drives, correct. But the case and the firmware that allows the encryption is very specific as it is hardware-based, so it’s the drive itself getting locked rather than the data.

Try a free encryption software such as TrueCrypt  and see if it works good for your needs :)