WD Smartware BSOD with Logitech Pro 9000 Webcam Connected

Hey I have a Logitech webcam Pro 9000 and when i connect it to the computer it was giving an Immediate BSOD. After several attempts i Figured out it is the smartware Software on the western Digital External HDD which is having a Conflict i updated the Firmware and the software on the external HDD and did not resolve it so I un-installed the Snmartware and then the I was able to use the Logitech Webcam How do i solve it I am able to use my External HDD but not able to install the smartware. What do I do???

I would suggest that you contact Logitech on that matter.

Sound weird? I dont think smartware would have a affect on anything but your computer.

I think the camera would be the problem. Or maybe even the usb port the camera is plugged into.

Do you have them both plugged into a hub?

Joe

Hey I hope this thread helps you i have talked to Logitech and they asked me to remove the smartware and removing it solved the prob… Apparently for Logitech pro 9000 seems to be a Know issues

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/BSOD-when-using-Quickcam-Pro-9000-Windows-7-Ultimate-x64/td-p/551252

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Quickcam-Pro-9000-software-causing-BSOD-on-windows-XP/m-p/553988

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Webcam-Pro-9000-install-causes-BSOD-Windows-7-64bit/m-p/529348 

So it is not the logitech but it is the Smartware not sure how to solve this… :cry:

It is not plugged in to the Hub… Plugged in to Diff USB ports same issue… 

If you talked with WD first and they said uninstall Webcam they would say see it’s a Logitech problem. It’s hard to know which is really the problem. I’m no Smartware fan but why would a backup program and a webcam conflict? Logitech has caused other conflicts over the years so I’m more inclined to blame that. You’ll have to decide what one you want the most. If you have any install problems or conflicts  on new software without Smartware installed you’ll know where to look first.

Joe

I totally Understand your point and I agree :wink: with You but I am able to use the webcam if I do not install the smartware but if i install the webcam and then install the smartware I get BSOD. I install the smartware and when i plug in the Logitech I am Getting the BSOD So only when the smartware is not on the comp I am able to use Both. Not sure what to do as of now I am using the External HDD as a normal backup.

Hopefully someone comes up with an answer let’s wait.

Well what kind of backup do you want? MS has Sync Toy it’s easy to use.

Joe

Hey thanks for the reply Joe well does it work like smartware ???

There is a conflict on the computer recognizing 2 drive letter goto control panel and remove sonic DLA and roxio restart the computer then try to connect it. tell me how it goes

No it’s quite simple on the left side select your file say My Documents and on the right side navigate to your external find or create file and it will compare make the 2 files match. If you delete a file from the PC the next sync will also delete in the copy.

Joe

hey thanks for the info mate… I will try it. Let me tell you what I did. I uninstalled the smartware and then installed the logitech webcam.

Then what i did was  i installed the smartware 64 bit application from the WD smartware folder in the WD hard drive and so far it is working fine. I even changed the Folder name to WD smartware to WD smartware.new (I dunno why I did it though) :smileyvery-happy: Seems to be working.

Fingers crossed will let you know  in couple of days.

Cheers and thanks for all the help mateys hopefully it works

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are currently investigating this issue in our labs to determine root cause. We have not yet resolved whether this is an issue with the Logitech webcam installation utility or with WD Smartware but will keep our customers updated as part of our investigation.

Finally someone started a real investigation :slight_smile:

I have opened a thread at Logitech Forums: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Possibly-Logitech-Webcam-driver-and-WD-SmartWare-conflict/td-p/473553

Maybe it will be useful for investigation. There is at least one workaround posted as well. But anyway it’s not a real problem solution.

With a latest Smartware release this bug was supposed to be fixed: “Fixed a Windows Operating System crash when Logitech Webcams software is installed after WD SmartWare software.”

So I have updated Smartware first. Then Installed LWS 2.10 and it was working without any problems. Unfortunately Logitech software update offered me to upgrade to LWS 2.25. And during setup process I have received BSOD again. Details: Bug check string - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION; Bug check code - 0x0000003b; Parameter 1 - 00000000c0000005; Parameter 2 - fffff88006a6b013; Parameter 3 - fffff8800a8dee50; Parameter 4 - 0000000000000000; Caused by driver - ks.sys; Caused by address - ks.sys+1a013. So probably there are still few things to fix…

Later I have found the following post in Logitech forum which confirms my problem:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Possibly-Logitech-Webcam-driver-and-WD-SmartWare-conflict/m-p/609444#M88279

Ignukas wrote:

With a latest Smartware release this bug was supposed to be fixed: “Fixed a Windows Operating System crash when Logitech Webcams software is installed after WD SmartWare software.”

So I have updated Smartware first. Then Installed LWS 2.10 and it was working without any problems. Unfortunately Logitech software update offered me to upgrade to LWS 2.25. And during setup process I have received BSOD again. Details: Bug check string - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION; Bug check code - 0x0000003b; Parameter 1 - 00000000c0000005; Parameter 2 - fffff88006a6b013; Parameter 3 - fffff8800a8dee50; Parameter 4 - 0000000000000000; Caused by driver - ks.sys; Caused by address - ks.sys+1a013. So probably there are still few things to fix…

Later I have found the following post in Logitech forum which confirms my problem:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Possibly-Logitech-Webcam-driver-and-WD-SmartWare-conflict/m-p/609444#M88279

We are lookiing into this issue.  Can you PM me the version number of the logitech software that you have?

rk6141,  if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

We believe this issue will be resolved in the next release.

I wanted to expand slightly on this with an update for those effected.

The Smartware software looks for drives on the computer system.  This process causes the Logitech KS.sys driver to crash.

We did update our software to prevent to resolve this issue, and the issue was resolved.

Logitech released an update to their driver, which now leads to our software crashing their driver, again.

As stated in my last post, the next version of Smartware should stop this from happening.

In short, our 2 pieces of software weren’t playing well together.  We are updating our software to avoid this issue altogether.  I cannot provide an eta on the next update Smartware.

Has Smartware been updated to resolve the conflict with the Logitech webcam?  I’m getting the same BSOD when I try to install the drivers for the Logitech Pro 9000 Webcam.  I’m going to uninstall the Logitech software and try again.  I don’t get a BSOD when I plug in the webcam, but my computer crashes, and I get the BSOD, when I try to install the drivers and other software from the CD Logitech packaged with its camera.  My computer runs Windows 7.