- Why does my Sharespace run slower than 30 MB/s?
- Does the new release include fixes from previous releases?
- Where can I get a manual download of the newest firmware release?
Q: Why does my Sharespace run slower than 30 MB/s?
A: The “advertised rate” shows a rate of up to 30 MB/s. Depending on your system configuration the read speeds can be up to 30 MB/s. When this was tested, WD was getting 20-25 MB/s consistent read speeds with random files. A 10 MB/s write average should be expected.
- Some things that can negatively impact speed include: antivirus, software firewalls, and a file set (large files are faster than small files).
- To get a little more performance, you can temporarily disable MioNet, iTunes, and Twonky on the Sharespace. This is particularly true when copying media files to it, since these applications will begin indexing the files as they’re being copied, resulting in a slow down.
- MioNet and iTunes are easily stopped through the GUI. For Twonky, enter this in a web browser: http://<IPofNAS>:9000/rpc/stopserver ( should be replaced with your Sharespace’s IP address.)
We did have some issues with slowdown in one of our previous firmware releases. That has been fixed in firmware version 2.2.91.
Q: Does the new release include fixes from previous releases?
A: Each new release includes all the fixes from previous firmware releases, as well.
Q: Where can I get a manual download of the newest firmware release? I am unable to update my Sharespace automatically.
A: At this time, we cannot provide that. If you are unable to do an online update of your Sharespace firmware, you will need to contact WD’s Technical Support for further information.
To Contact WD for Technical Support