WD Sharespace 4TB suddenly giving my computer a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)

Hi guys/gals

My 4TB Sharespace was working great and backing up nicely across my network (using Fbackup4) every night. Then suddenly last week i could not access my drive and when i turned it on anf off again it gave my machine a BSOD. Now whenever i turn it on, the same happens…Has anyone else come across this?

My machine is a i7 920, 12gb, win vista 64.  WD Discovery version is 1.50 (0907.004)

Bit worrying as  i have a lot of backed up work on it. Any help would be great. Cheers!

Marc

My one suggestion at this point: Go to your devices and printers page in the control panel in Windows, select your ShareSpace and right-click, then select “Properties”

Check the “Hardware” tab and see if there are two devices listed under “Device Function” - if there are, one of them should be listed as “WD ShareSpace Network Storage System” of type “Disk Drives”

Hit the “Properties” button in that tab. In the new window that’s generated, click the “Change settings” buttion and cconfirm for Windows UAC. Then click on the “Driver” tab, and finally click on the “Disable” button. Confrim.

Afterward I think it may be time to try to bring your ShareSpace up again and see the results…

You can always re-enable this specific driver later if you want by following a near-identical process… But technically, as this is a NAS device, you don’t actually require a driver like this to access the device, and I myself have experienced some problems which seem related specifically to having this driver installed and enabled.

Give this a bash and let us know the outcome!

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, but i cant do any of that as my machine bsod’s about 20sec after putting the network cable back into the wdshare. Windows comes up with the little icons “new hardware found”, tries to install drivers (dunno why as it was working fine…) then BSOD.

In safe mode, i cant really see any of what you mention. I checked firware, checked the drive, alll green and good… I reiinsalled wdsharespace find software and it finds it, but the drive itself is innaccessible. I can get into its CP no problem and even change settings…this is all in safe mode…as like i said, normal mode will bsod out.

’  Bugger. I was hoping to help you out further -  explore my system and figure a way to help you get what I described doing done - but my Windows system had a serious meltdown a few days ago… I’ve had to completely re-install the system and start from scratch!

’  Because of that the system has been reset to it’s virgin state - from well before the point where the Windows-Update drivers were installed…

’  Essentially I’m buggered for helping ya until such a time as my system gets back to a similar configuration - via Windows Upfate etc. etc.

’  No idea how long this may take. Apologies - but I’ll get back to you soon as possible!!!

I’m assuming that with Windows booted into normal mode, but with the NAS device disconnected from the network, that the device itself doesn’tactually show up for any modification or whatever in the devices list?

Hi, my apologies for the delay. I had to give up trying as i just got so busy with work. But im trying again tonight…The thing is the sharespace drive is fine, as i can log onto it from my wifes Mac and my laptop, its ONLY my vista 64 machine that BSOD’s as soon as the drive is plugged into the network. I tried repairing the drivers, updating, re installing drivers…nothing. Still getting a bloody blue screen of death… I fear that if i get in touch with WD they wont be much help as my experience with customer support with big companies is pretty **bleep**…

i dont suppose anyone has any more ideas?

There are two things that you can possibly try on your system. If the BSOD is caused by the driver that comes with the drive or from Windows update then you would need to remove or disable it. You can try going into Safe Mode and disabling the driver like Menageryl mentioned. If it won’t let you do it from there, then you can try deleting the driver itself from your system. On a 64-bit system the drivers are usually titled with a “4NC” listing. For example: WDMBW_4NC-x64.dll. There may also be a PnPXnas-4NC.inf and pnpxnas-4nc.cat file. I would make sure that you have a backup of your system just in case since you are working with drivers and you don’t want to delete the wrong one. After you remove the drivers or disable them, connect the drive back to your network or boot into Windows and see if it resolves the issue.

What error message is the BSoD reporting? It shows up right below the STOP message. Also, what driver, if any, is listed at the bottom (such as rdbss.sys)?

If the computer is rebooting with the BSoD and you can’t read it, you can tell it not to restart on system failure by going to the System Properties control panel, Advanced system settings, then click Settings under Startup and Recovery. On the screen that pops up, clear the “Automatically restart” checkbox under System failure.