WD Sentinel DX4000 "Startup field 0xd9" and then "Bad Storage"


NEW RESULT - after I noticed my red-light issue and swapped drives around - and don’t “think” any other changes, now I get INVALID CONFIG … different, maybe getting someplace. Going to try the GPT thing now

THANKS EVERYONE … in this field 37 yrs … and LOVE when I need my own help and actually get it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:


If you post the model no. of your hard drives then we can check whether you have chances or not. I would advise t start with 2 drives only, then you have time to add them later on. And you should use which has wider drive compatibility


Quick note - when I did CLEAN (diskpart), disk manager then had an “offline” indicator and says “not initialized”… I actually like that, change may be good … (just writing notes as I go so I don’t forget) … 1st try “INVALID CONFIG” … I call that getting someplace, but not sure if USB key or drives it doesn’t like … recreated key …

I just finished downloading 1_7_5_17 so will recreate keys with it … I haven’t been able to find … any good link is greatly appreciated

O/T but worth a quick share - have a Thermaltake 2-drive external box on USB3 … very convenient for all this, don’t have to install drives into anything to work on them, just drop in a slot so makes much of this go a lot faster. Nice little (CHEAP) device. This and an Apricorn SATA cable for doing perfect disk to disk copies (of bootable systems) … 2 lifesaver tools to own.


The download link is below. I fixed the TechNet link.
You need to clean all your drives with diskpart, then do recreate storage (the middle step). You have to make a new thumb drive each time for this one.

When that is done look on the thumb drive for the log file. Go to the end and make sure it makes sense.
If all is well proceed to recover, the bottom step. If you think Bay 3 is funky, I would clean all my drives, but just put two drives in and do the recreate, then recover. After that you can try adding more drives.


I just got a DX4000 minus its drives and set about to recreating the storage and recovering the operating system. However, as I found out (and as many have found out) it’s not so easy, because WD has imposed a “whitelist” of approved drives to use with this server. And you get all these errors “0xd9”, “bad storage”, “invalid number of drives” because the DX4000 is rejecting your drives!

I got a pair of WD4002FYYZ (specifically, “WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1”) and of course I got all these errors, and more.

Following Gramps’ advice, I loaded up the recovery.log file that had been generated on the USB stick, and to my surprise I found these entries:

2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - RaidCfg64 detected 2 drives
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - RaidCfg64 drive K7JY***L: port=2
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - RaidCfg64 drive K7JZ***L: port=3
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - WARN - Drive 0 serial K7JY***L model WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1 does not match any in white list
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - WARN - Powering drive 2488616 off
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - WARN - Drive 1 serial K7JZ***L model WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1 does not match any in white list
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - WARN - Powering drive 2488616 off
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - Detected drive 0 serial=K7JY***L model=WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1 SATA=2 led=0
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - Security: SUPPORTED
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - Enabled: 0
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - Locked: 0
2019.02.03 04:06:09 - INFO - Frozen: 0

So then I thought, “what whitelist??” HERE is the whitelist, according to recovery.log:

2019.02.03 04:06:01 - DEBUG - Reading resource file 'C:\wdrecovery\Locale\en_US.xml'
2019.02.03 04:06:02 - DEBUG - Parsing whitelist 'C:\wdrecovery\whitelist.xml'

Note that this C:\ directory structure is the root of the USB key that you have to create to perform “recreate” and “recovery”.

So now it is a simple matter to add my brand-new RE drives to this whitelist, and work flawlessly this time!

I made the “recreate” USB key again, this time I went to the WDRECOVERY directory and sure enough found these files:


Opened up each of these in Notepad, and here’s the relevant section:

<!-- Draco/Draco_RE -->
<Model description="Enterprise Storage 2 TB" size="1907730" etype="constant">WDC WD2002FYPS-02W3B0</Model>
<Model description="Enterprise Storage 2 TB" size="1907730" etype="constant">WDC WD2002FYPS-02W3B1</Model>
<Model description="Enterprise Storage 2 TB" size="1907730" etype="constant">WDC WD2009FYPX-09AAMB0</Model>
<Model description="Enterprise Storage 3 TB" size="2861589" etype="constant">WDC WD3009FYPX-09AAMB0</Model>

To which I added this very line, to both files:

<Model description="Enterprise Storage 4 TB" size="3815448" etype="constant">WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB1</Model>

I had to go “file-properties” first and change the two XML files from “read only”, so that I was able to save back to the USB key. Then after the update, I changed back to “read only”, just in case the software checks that status as yet another ERROR condition.

But anyway, it "recreated’ my drives. Wow, success! Then I did the “recovery” procedure, edited the USB key again in the same way (because of course it checks another time), and it worked that time too!

So seems like you just have to do some undocumented editing and you can probably get any set of drives you want to work on the DX4000.

And I also saw this other post that describes all the same procedure from 2015, because of course somebody else figured it out:


Great work!
Thanks for posting