WD Sentinel DX4000 "Startup field 0xd9" and then "Bad Storage"

Hi all,

My problem is as follows:

My dx4000 12TB storage was working well for a long time.

1. One time when i got home i saw the red lamp over one of the hard drives. (the storage was working well at that time)

2. after reboot , the lamp was blue again for a while (around an hour or more , and than turned red again)

3. I have switched the storage off, and acquired a new hard drive.

4. When i pulled in the new hard drive - the storage started to boot and showed the “Startup field 0xd9” message on the lcd

5. I have contacted the wd support and was told to perform a system recovery using a usb stick an wd image. (page 50 on wd manual  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=297&type=25)

6. When booted my stoarge with the usb stick in it, after showing for a while “INITIALIZING OK. LOADING RECOVERY” message on the lcd - i have got a “Bad Storage” message.

Summery:

1. I can’t boot my storage

2. i can’t recover my storage (by manual)

3. I have important data that i don’t want to loose (ye i know it is stupid , but that is the case) on the storage so hardcode factory reset is not an option for me

I would be happy to hear any advice on how to recover the data on the storage (as detailed as it can be).

any option is on the table (from recovering the system to recovering the data by pulling out all the drive and doing it on 3rd party computer)

IMPORTANT NOTE

i am pritty sure that 3 drives are working well, so i don’t understand why the storage can’t recover.

also the faulty drive seems to be “half working” 

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have never actually used these but others here have.  You can get your data back (if possible) then restore your server

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

http://www.diskinternals.com/raid-recovery/

Are you really sure you bought one of the compatible hard disks of the DX4000? Maybe I am wrong but I think to remember that I got similar errors when I was trying to expand my DX4000 with WD NAS hard drives identical to the “compatible ones” but just with the last p/n digit differing. And of course they did not work. I ask this because the compatible drives are identical to the standard commercial ones but they cost almost double the price of the standard ones and they are extremely difficult if not impossible to be found/bought even in the WD shop.

Please also refer to this thread for additional information:

http://community.wd.com/t5/Sentinel-Products/Bad-storage-error-upgrading-from-2Tb-to-4Tb-DX4000/td-p/849886

1 Like

Wonder what happens with just the 3 “good” drives in there?

First of all thanks for your replay. :slight_smile:

I bought the hard drive for the same reseller that sold me the storage.

You are totaly right, the hard drives are really hard to find, and I am not sure about the “compatible ones” issue.

But as I understand the problem - the storage should not recognize the new drive and just pop up a message about it. Instead the moment i have inserted the new drive the storage showed up the “Startup field 0xd9” message, and since then i could not boot the storage into any state (even recovery)

It seems like the storage has “messed up” it self as soon as I have inserted the new drive…

The link you have provided said nothing about wether in that case the person could restore the storage into it’s previose state… 

Hi  Gramps,

Thanks for your replay!

After replacing the “problamatic drive” with the new one - the storage won’t boot even with 3 drives. showing the  “Startup field 0xd9” message.

the recovery also doesn’t work with 3 drives only (it even doesn’t start)

when trying to recover with the original 4 drives i get the  “Bad Storage” message after a while of being on the “INITIALIZING OK. LOADING RECOVERY” screen.

Is it possible to resent the bios of the storage to get it into 0 state (with out intacting the data on storage of course)?

I don’t think you can get past the bad storage without the aid of a true rocket scientist.  I think your best bet is to download one or both of the recovery programs listed before.  They are free to try.  As in if you can see your data, then you purchase and can drag and drop to some other media.  You would need 3 usb adapters, one for each good drive and a spare PC

In your case where it will not boot I don’t see how the RST tools mentioned would help you add the 4th drive.

The new drive should have a model number and firmware revison on it you can compare to this list once you get past the bad storage msg

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9443/~/list-of-compatible-hard-drives-for-wd-sentinel-products

Hi,

Gramps is fully correct, if you are not even able to boot the DX4000 then the RST driver is completely useless and most likely the only solution is to try on a different PC the utilities mentioned with your hard drives.

When you mean “recovering” are you really using the full Windows Server re-install option of the DX4000? This is the one which requires a 16 Gb USB2 stick (USB3 won’t work… yet another funny issue of this unit).

In general when I had sever issues this option almost always worked paying of course attention to select the option which does not completely wipe the HD content.

He says he got “Loading Recovery” on the LCD, so I think he has a good thumb. I have no clue what the 4th drive may have done to his raid config so again I think his best bet is to do a 3rd party thing.

After he gets his data back he could then build the box fresh with the 3 drives if the 4th is not a perfect match and do the RST thing.

But one step at a time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dear All
i need your help , my old drive full now and replace it with new one 3TB Hard drive (WD3009FYPX-09AAMB0) but its still show “Config BAD” when i make recovery . please can you help me .

I have a similar but different issue - a PERFECTLY good running DX4000, all good drives (somewhat new right from WD on a replacement unit)

I want to sell the unit (have 2, selling both, going with rackmount setups) - so I went to do the factory restore and after the basic initializing recovery messages (so it is recognizing my USB key just fine) I get the BAD MEDIA message and can’t continue.

I forced a drive VERIFY and all is JUST FINE, but I can’t do the factory restore.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.

UPDATE - I followed the below procedure - HOPING, but same result

Remove drives one by one from DX4000 and test them in Disk Management using the portable USB enclosure. Every drive should have unallocated space with the size of drive, like a new drive. If it does not, remove all volumes and all partitions from it. One volume is hidden and cannot be deleted from Disk Management. In this case use DISKPART and run these commands
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION 2
DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE
SELECT PARTITION 1
DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE
QUIT

Diskpart
select disk
clean

will erase the drive(s) also. I would suggest you get a new thumb drive if you MD5 Hash matches

bellow is panam 1.7.6.21
C:\Users\Budro\Downloads\PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21_.iso:
Verified: Unsigned
File date: 1:53 AM 1/14/2017
MD5: 32031F2454D3510D7CE2BF5891F7D25D
SHA1: EF0E132813182B2202A5FF54180C840BEE44F59E
SHA256: 6D511FC43FEFBC088E6A069397539B575AA6E81067D0A5BC81E1FEF12CDCD1B1

Dear Daniel,

Could you post the full model number of the drive which you can read on the unit? Because if it is not in the original list of the WD software I think there is nothing to do. You can very likely use them as replacement drives but not as the original ones to be used for install. This at least till WD will release a patch to allow usage of not recommended drives also for installation and not only for replacement of an existing unit.

Instead if your drive is in the list then just follow Gramps advice, in my case I had succesfull install also after having converted the drives to GPT on another workstation. Then I used the USB key for storage raid create and then the other USB to be used for the full recovery.

More info - attempted to do RECREATE STORAGE instead of the full reset - interestingly it comes up with BAD DRIVE COUNT as if it see 3 drives and not 4. All lights blue.

ONLY indication of something wrong - when the device FIRST starts up, the drive lights 1 time flash RED - all except location 3 gets no light. If I move drives around, still the same, slot 3 … starting to think the WD-replaced cage may be no good although it works FINE … the restore is the only thing I can’t do,

I actually did try 2 other USB keys (thinking it could be the key) and same results. Will try your suggestion on the CLEAN and see what happens :slight_smile:

I had a bad unit replaced by WD they sent with “all new refurbished” drives, I didn’t replace any of them.
When the box came new about 6 months ago I was able to do the initial install no problem - and it was running fine other than trying to do the restore to wipe clean to sell it … trying to give as much background as I can :slight_smile:

I had an older ISO, was in process of downloading 1_7_5_17 … looks like you found a newer one - will get that instead!!!

got a page not found on the link

Will try the convert to GPT … that has solved issues on other systems for me :slight_smile: