WD Sentinel DX4000 is showing startup failed 0*D9

Hi Gramps …

Thank You so Much for your Efforts. I downloaded PANAM_SvrRecovery.ISO and is working fine. I created bootable usb and booting perfectly fine but after few minutes it gives this message “Bad Storage”

Any ideas what i can do in order to completely wipe erase and then reinstall back Operating System.

Thanks

Hi Gramps… now there is another issue after reloading recovery OS from boot it is showing BAD STORAGE on the screen.

can u please help… hard drives are same which came with the NAS sentinel box.

Thanks

I suggest you take each drive one at a time and either slave it in a PC or use a USB SATA adapter or dock. Then from an admin command prompt type
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK X (X being the correct disk MAKE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT DISK)
CLEAN

After you have cleaned/erased the disk(s) put back in the DX.
Run Setup.exe from the mounted as a dvd ISO
Select the middle step, recreate storage, and follow the wizard.
When it is complete look at the thumb drive in a PC. In the WDRECOVERY folder there is a log file. Make sure towards the end of the file it says what you expect. As in if you have two drives it should not say RAID 5

Then you can run setup and do the restore.

PS, you did not have to ask twice. I was sleeping :slight_smile:

first of all sorry for creating disturbance in your sleep…:mask:

and Thanks for help… steps that you mentioned i ran, i cleaned both of the 2TB hard drive one by one using diskpart after mounting with desktop hard drive dock… then i selected second step for recreating storage and it worked perfectly fine… in last it showed RECREATING STORAGE SUCCESS… and then i powered it off my sentinel drive through front power button. Was it correct shutting it down the sentinel ?

now i have performed 3rd step Perform Recovery and recreated bootable USB and now it is in RECOVERY STARTED Process for last 4 hours… do i have to do anything with it other than sitting idle and watching at the screen of the sentinel :expressionless: or do i have to connect pc with network cable which will be in the same network as i reading your answers on other topics.

Thanks at least i reached till here… :flushed:

You need to mount the iso you downloaded on a PC that is on the same network that has a dhcp server as your DX
Run setup.exe from the mounted dvd
do the bottom step, restore
follow the wizard. It will tell you when to power on your DX with the reset button and thumb drive
Then it will tell you to click next when the DX says recovery started
You leave the PC on and connected and it shows the progress on the pc

Page 50 of the manual

and also here
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16635

hello,

Recovery Started screen is showing for last 8 hours now…

but then i was reading your answers from another topics regarding same issue. what i was doing wrong was once sentinel was started in recovery mode i thought it will format and reinstall automatically os from the flash drive once it started booting from flash drive , i was so noooob… :grimacing:

then powered off sentinel again and then connected LAN cable and then started the procedure back and voillla … my pc communicated with sentinel after booting from USB and now on the LCD recovery started is there and on the pc it is resetting my server to the default settings. under 3 hours it is 40% completed formatting the hard drives…

Thanks Gramps … :innocent:

YEA
if it is 1.7.6.21 you/we may have an issue where the fan, temps,and power supplies do not display in the monitor tab. But we have a work around for that

Thanks Gramps… at last it is working. i am just re-configuring everthing in my dx.

thanks for you help…:kissing_smiling_eyes::kissing_smiling_eyes:

You are welcome. Just holler if you have any questions

I got the startup failed 0xD9 after I attempt to replaced one of the three hard drives that the red light came on. I successfully created a USB with the server recovery utility but it stopped with the message “STORAGE BAD”. Reluctantly, I am resigned to the lost of my valuable data but I have no idea how can I rebuilt the system.
I tried to connect to the sentinel but the static IP address of the server is unreachable. The server recovery utility does not find the server because it is stuck with the STORAGE BAD message,
I do have a server backup created with the 2008R2 backup process but I have no idea how it can work on a server that is not reachable, has no display, no keyboard and only interface is a NIC card that is not active.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mda,

Please follow Gramps below procedure i did it on mine and worked flawlessly -

I suggest you take each drive one at a time and either slave it in a PC or use a USB SATA adapter or dock. Then from an admin command prompt type
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK X (X being the correct disk MAKE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT DISK)
CLEAN

After you have cleaned/erased the disk(s) put back in the DX.
Run Setup.exe from the mounted as a dvd ISO
Select the middle step, recreate storage, and follow the wizard.
When it is complete look at the thumb drive in a PC. In the WDRECOVERY folder there is a log file. Make sure towards the end of the file it says what you expect. As in if you have two drives it should not say RAID 5

Then you can run setup and do the restore.

PS, you did not have to ask twice. I was sleeping :slight_smile:

You can try to recover your data with 3rd party tools like getdataback or diskinternals BEFORE you clean your drives and do recreate

In the recover step of the ISO there is an option to restore your backup to the headless box