WD sees Server files but will not play them

I play a video file from an attached USB and it works fine.  When I try and play the same file that I access wirelessly from my MAC, WD Live sees the files on my PC.  I can select the file but when I hit enter it does not play.  I just get a rotating colored circle but the file does not play.  I know the file is fine because it plays when I plug in the USB unit.

I got customer service and they could not figure it out.  They were going to transfer me to a senior rep and I got a voice mail that everyone was busy and I would have to call back but thought I would try here first.

I have the WD Live Plus HD player.  I just got it. 

How are you playing your files, net share or media server?  (If using media server I’d recommend trying net shares).

And can you play any other files?  (IOW, is it just this one file or is it ALL files?).  If using net shares and you cannot play any files then it’s most likely a problem with how you are sharing the files.

It is all files.  In fact I even tried to access a photo file and it would not open it either.  I am starting to think it is a problem with the box,  maybe it is defective. 

I bet you tried to play a bad MKV file.   See FAQ section 4H and 4I.

I’m having the same issue. It doesn’t matter the type of file (mkv, avi, mp3).

I’m got two uPnP servers running and both have the same issue. The only way I can resolve it temporarily is to “Reset to factory defaults” (power on/off doesn’t fix it).

This fixes it for a bit, but it appears to be getting worse, and I have to reset it pretty much every time I use it.

Grimmy23 wrote:

I’m having the same issue. It doesn’t matter the type of file (mkv, avi, mp3).

I’m got two uPnP servers running and both have the same issue. The only way I can resolve it temporarily is to “Reset to factory defaults” (power on/off doesn’t fix it).

This fixes it for a bit, but it appears to be getting worse, and I have to reset it pretty much every time I use it.

Post the mediainfo of the first file that causes this after a reset.

Just curious, did you read this thread before posting in it?

I gave up and returned the unit to Amazon.  I am now waiting on the Boxee to come out and will try it.