WD SE 1tb slow usb 3.0 transfer rates

Hello all,

first i would like to thank you all for this helpfull community in the WD forums,:slight_smile:

I purchased a WD SE 1TB, hooked it up to my gigabye UD5 rev 2.0 board that has a usb 3.0 port and started to transfer.

i installed the SES driver but i did not install the WD software.

I am transferring files from a WD 1tb caviar black sata 6 (hooked up to a sata 6).

and i am disappointed with the transfer rates 30-45 mb/s, am sure i am missing something so any help would be appreciated ?

Thankx in advance :slight_smile:

You missed the all important OS info. I have same drive with USB 2 interface.

The transfer rate between my desktop (Asus P5, (USB2) Intel Core2 Extreme Q4/ 3.1 GHz, with 8GB DDR2) has sustained 35MB/s while My Vaio notebook (Centrino 2 GHz USB2 with 2GB DDR2) has sustained transfer rate of 25-28MB/s.

I think you may have a bottleneck on USB port side that needs an updated driver.

In ideal world I do not expect anything above 70~90 MB/s on USB3 in anyway. Use of hardware drive encryption on My Passport device is another bottleneck.

For higher USB3 transfer rates you need high quality shielded USB cables and need to avoid hubs.

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.

windows 7 64 bi gigabyte ud5 6gb ddr 3 ram @1600mhz i7-950 @3.2ghz

updated the usb 3.0 driver from the gigabyte website.

i dint understand what you said after that because i am unfamiliar with this sort of thing.

i am using the cable you provided me and connecting the HDD to the usb 3.0 port on the mobo directly.

could u please advise?

First to avoid confusion, I do not represent WD – just another WD product user like you.

(I am wondering why this is happening to me in most of the time on this community) :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you were wondering on this text. “Use of hardware drive encryption on My Passport device is another bottleneck”. All the Passport drives are equipped with hardware data encryption technology to enable password locked drive security. Though you may have not enforced password lock, hardware data encryption is enforcing all the time.

IMO, This drive has encryption chip onboard and the credibility of that chip determines data throughput.  Try Google/Wikipedia for more info.

And don’t worry about subdued speed right now. You’re better than others. Stay in touch with this community and you’ll find the solution!

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.

thanx alot for ur replies and its disappointing i dont know how to solve this but ill keep checking.

people confuse because ur active :stuck_out_tongue:

In all honesty I don’t think there is a simple solution. I think the trouble is USB 3.0 is new and so is Windows 7 and basically MS and all of the assorted hardware and software makers haven’t kept things up to date. Then there is  backward compatibility to deal with. Just think of all of the drivers in the chain that may have an effect. Then there is the drive speed that the OS runs in. Now shovel in Antivirus and other security software, encryption password and hardware. User ignorance  look at the people that take an XP machine add some hardware because they think they are so knowledgable and get mad when you ask questions about their hardware. I don’t see a quick fix to this either. This is just my observation.

Joe

well i mean i did do my research and i thought ok i got the usb 3.0 in the mobo, i got the software bla bla and then it just was so slow, i was disappointed. ill keep reading around and if any1 reads this and knows anything let me know pls. will be much appreciated

I am having the same problem. My motherboard is an ASUS P6X58D Premium with two USB 3.0 ports and my device is a WD SE 1TB 3.0 and under windows 7 64bit is giving the message that this device could be faster if I connect in a  3.0 usb port.  I already tried many things;  formatted windows, installed new drivers from NEC, RENESAS, enabled 3.0 usb on bios setup, formatted the WD SE, installed windows xp 64bit and the read speed is still the same as usb 2.0.

What is your expected transfer speed on My Passport for USB3.0?

E.g. USB2.0 = 34-36MB/s (48MB/s Max is not possible in real life)Â