WD Red 3 TB WD30efrx copying at 100 kb/s

Hi,

I have a 3 TB WD Red NAS HD PN WD30EFRX which is almost full.

I need to backup this drive, when I copy files it is extremely slow, copying at approx 100 kb/s.

This would take a full month to backup and recover the data.

Any ideas/suggestions

Thanks

It may be that the drive is severely fragmented. I’m not sure if the NAS OS tries to address this, if it is the case. However, (hypothetical) defrag can’t take place on a really full drive. You might try backing up moderate sized blocks of data, and then deleting them from the RED drive to free up space.

Is this drive in a NAS enclosure on a network connection, or in a directly connected situation? In either case, does it have a history of painfully slow transfers, or is this new behavior? If networked, is there anything else on the network you can compare it to, like a broadband internet connection, another drive or computer? If it is being used internally or otherwise directly connected, clearing space (~15-20% free) should allow you to defrag it, assuming that fragmentation is a contributing factor.

What system is this HDD in, Windows computer?

I suspect that the drive access mode has dropped out of DMA and into PIO, Windows XP was horrible for this and you’d have to manually reset it to DMA.

Zatick wrote:

What system is this HDD in, Windows computer?

I suspect that the drive access mode has dropped out of DMA and into PIO, Windows XP was horrible for this and you’d have to manually reset it to DMA.

Good point! That’s one I’ll have to watch out for.

Thanks folks for your support.

it is a secondary drive connected to a windows 7 system, no RAID

Is it possible to get back to DMA mode.

Paddy

Paddydonegal wrote:

Thanks folks for your support.

it is a secondary drive connected to a windows 7 system, no RAID

Is it possible to get back to DMA mode.

Paddy

To check the status:

Right click on Computer, select Properties

To the upper right of System window, select Device Manager

In Device Manager, click the ‘+’ to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Double click each of the ‘ATA Channel’ entries

Look at the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab

Check if listed ‘ATA Disks’ have ‘Enable DMA’ checked

These disks should show ‘Ultra DMA Mode 6’ in the ‘Current Mode’ column

If the drive is in PIO mode and won’t change to DMA, you can try going to the Driver tab and uninstalling the driver. The system should then reinstall it if you go to the Action menu and select “Scan for Hardware Changes”