WD RE quality for laptop workstation use

Hi,

I’ve been looking for an WD RE class (look-a-like) 2,5" laptop drive for a while now, but can’t find such a disk.

I want a high quality disk with enterprise speeds for our workstation laptops.

I thinks such a disk doesn’t excist, so my question is which choice would be the best:

• WD SSD/HDD combination

• WD Hybrid (are these faster as normal disks?)

• WD black

• WD black²

• Other WD?

I’d like to have a professional advice in here, because there’s going to be a lot of valuable stuff on this disks.

To give a practical case:

• Minimum of 1TB is needed

• High read/write cycles (most of the time sequential, but Windows also runs on the disk with background tasks)

• As high as possible load capacity (like the RE series which has dual-core processors and high bandwidth)

There’s now running a WD blue… but that one is mucchhhhh tooo slow.

We’re using WD RE’s in our desktop workstations and we’re very suprised by the global speed and quality of this disks! And none of those has failed yet (where others does). 

So is has to be a WD for us… but then which…:slight_smile:

So, keypoints: high bandwidth, high speed, as high as possible disk quality (MTBF/TByr).

I’m a bit hesistant about the SSD’s… an HDD feels more robust… In case to use the WD SSD/HDD combi.

Maybe upgrading to a Hybrid does the trick (are they really faster in practise ??!!), I don’t know. If one has experience with these, please be my guest to advice.

Thanks a lot! I hope I’m able to make a good choice using WD’s community.

Greats, John

Welcome to the Community.

The 2.5" WD Black is the closest match for your needs. However, it only goes as far as 750GB at the time of this post. Other 2.5" units like the WD Blue SSHD go as high as 4TB but they do not match the WD Black’s raw performance. 

Consider Velociraptor 1TB 2.5" drive model WD1000CHTZ

According to WD spec sheet it has Non-recoverable read errors per bits read <10 in 10^16 

7200 rpm drives spec’d at<10 in 10^15 (in some spec sheets it’s expressed as <1 in 10^14)

They’re 10k drives. They will be faster than 7200 rpm drives all other things being equal.

good luck,  

[edited for completeness & grammar]