WD Quick View not working

YEARS later, still having the same problems. Does WD ever actually fix anything???
WHY do you make Quick View available as a separate download if it doesn’t work? It seems to me it only works when installed as part of SmartWare. But when installed on its own it does absolutely nothing, and there’s no way to manually configure it to point to a WD drive. I’m ASSUMING that as long as the WD Drive Discovery Service is up and running that Quick View should use it to find the WD drive on the network… well clearly this doesn’t work, and hasn’t worked for several years. Is that ok and acceptable to WD?

Hello, it happened to me with Windows 10 and to solve the problem I had to change the network from public to private. It worked.
I hope I’ve been helpful.

Using a WD Passport drive (old model), I found that I broke Quick View by installing an update from the WD website, as well as installing updates to all the other WD utilities by downloading individual updates from the website. Doing so apparently does not install all the necessary components.

To get them all working again, I uninstalled all the updated WD utilities from my Windows 10 Pro computer, then reverted to the installation program included on the original WD installation disk. Once I re-installed the complete set of utilities offered (it comes in the form of a single install file on the original disk), I found I could then install updates from within each utility (except Quick View) by opening each one, such as WD Backup – which would then inform me immediately that an update was available, which I installed from inside the utility as it was running.

Quick View now works properly again, as do all the other WD programs. Warnings, though: Do not try to update Quick View (I don’t think it even offers to) – and there is a glitch in the installer from the disk (at least running it on my version of Windows 10) that it offers to update the various utilities PRIOR to installing them, which then throws the most arcane error message I’ve ever seen (something about not being able to write a triangle shape to the Control Panel – what!!!) and then freezing the installer. Even running the installer as Administrator did not help. So, when running the installer, if it shows a page offering to download updates before proceeding with the installations, click on “SKIP” and proceed with the installation of all the different utilities. Afterwards, you can update each WD utility individually by simply opening each one (except Quick View) and agreeing to update it in place.

The only useful program I found on the WD support website was the Universal Firmware Updater, which is not included with the utilities installer on the disk (although it may be on there somewhere as a separate program, which I didn’t see).

If this works for anyone else, it seems like a better solution than all the strange suggestions made earlier about altering Network or Firewall settings or other internal Windows settings.

This is an issue perhaps with Access Rights ?
I’m happily using it on Windows 10 Pro with WD Access and WD Sync and WD Smartware Also installed.

I really only need the Quick View because that gives me access to the directories (shares) which is much easier to view than the horrible web interface.

Also it usefully manages any WD Passport USB external devices rather than relying on the Windows option.
This works well.

However, On a Toshiba Laptop Windows 10 Home 64-bit, whichever of the WD programs I installed (Quick View being the first) It does not show any options for Drive mappings (Map) or directories/shares (Open); all I can see is the About option

Very annoying for my wife, so I have to bear the brunt of this.

Why ?
Looking at PBear_SF advice, i’ll trying uninstalling all the WD utilities and reinstalling from WD Passport.

I have a horrible feeling the installation has to be in a specific order