Wd Purple for desktop use

Currently I have 2 WD 4tb purple lying around. can I use it in my desktop like a normal HDD?

I have lots of pictures, videos and other important files. Yes I know that the purple drive are best for surveillance storage but wanna know if it can be used like a traditional hdd with no issues

Thanks

read here:  http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=85809&sid=c409affd78d01fed5acd53aa806f1882

“These drives are designed for " it’s more important to complete the read or write in the specified time frame than that the data written or read be correct" usage. Pretty much the opposite of what you want in a NAS that stores important documents, business data, treasured photos/videos, or anything except short-lived (days, weeks) streamed data.”

Is this true?

Hi yes they can be used as a desktop drive, they may not be the fastest but they will work fine. Desktop usage is not a NAS.

What about using these in a desktop computer that’s also acting as a home NAS?

I plan to get a 4TB drive on the desktop and let it be accessed for storage over the network by other devices and also run Plex or something like that on it to stream movies to my smart TV.

The reason I’m considering a purple is that it’s the cheapest 4TB drive I can find right now (here in India).

Whatever BryanLee has quoted is extremely disturbing, though… can anyone confirm if this is actually the case? That’s pretty crazy.

It’s unfortunate that WD’s own forums doest get much attention from the WD itself. So many thread/questions here left unanswered

BryanLee,

The WD Community was created for Users -such as yourself- to help one another and to share your experiences and ideas with one another.  As Moderators, we are simply here to facilitate and oversee the Community. If you have a question or issue related to the WD Community itself, us Moderators will be happy to respond and assist you. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22

Regards,

hi

i purchazed a WD20PURPX few days ago.

i put it in a desktop computer.

now the problem is , that the drive will be stuck or disconnected after  a time.

forcing reboot , and sometime this is not enough , i need to shutdown and Restart.

any help ?

thanks alot

after i did some changes in power options  ( Never: for Put the compter to sleep )

and for testing ( in Advanced settings\Hard disk\Turn off hard disk after )

i set the time for 6000 minutes.

so for 2 days now it is ok and no stuck or disconneted.

so i believe as Purple intended for surveillance , it should not put in a desktop computer ,

unless we put it in a server computer that running 24 hours.

after doing some experiments i will shift it to a server computer .

thanks

WARNING: Purple is for live video recording ONLY !!!

What BryanLee has quoted is true.

Although the Purple will work in a regular computer setup, you will run a much higher risk of data corruption.

shukree wrote:

so i believe as Purple intended for surveillance , it should not put in a desktop computer ,

unless we put it in a server computer that running 24 hours.

after doing some experiments i will shift it to a server computer . 

Moving the discs to a server will not change the problem with skipping bit data. This is an intended behaviour of the disc.

The drive will only use the streaming ATA commands if it receives them from the host. Desktop computers should not natively issue these types of commands so the drive should work like a normal hard drive. Some differences are that since the drive is optimized for contiguous data streams, the random read/write may not be as fast as a regular desktop drive. Also, the drive is designed for constant 24/7 operation so it will not go into a power saving mode on its own.