WD PR4100 Pre purchase question (surveillance and nas)

Hey there, wondering if anyone can help me…

I have had a good look at the PR4100 and would like to use the NAS for storage of media, backup of small office network and surveillance.

https://www.wdc.com/solutions/ultimate-surveillance-storage-solutions.html

Does anyone know whether I can run this NAS by having 3x 8TB Reds in a RAID 10 configuration and a 2TB purple (surveillance drive) and have the Milestone Arcus software on the NAS just use the purple drive and the other 3 for the other features? Thanks in advance

The 8TB Reds are compatible with the drive. You can run the PR4100 with 3 TB Reds and 1 2TB Purple drive, but probably not in RAID 10 mode. That requires 4 drives that are the same size and type. Otherwise you would either end up with errors, or a RAID 10 with 4-2TB drives.

In order to set up Arcus on just the 2TB Purple drive, you would have to put in the 2TB Purple first, set it up as JBOD, install and setup the Arcus software so it only sees and sets up the video on the Purple drive. Once you do that, and Arcus is up and running, you can install the 3-8TB Red drives and configure them as RAID 5. The Purple drive would be one volume and the 3 Reds would be another volume.

Keep in mind that since the Purple is one volume, your video folder would be limited to the size of that volume.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, that’s perfect!

I should have known about the RAID 10… My mind wasn’t quite awake…

No problem. Glad I could help.