WD PR4100 Being Hacked

Hi!

I need help.

My PR4100 Pro is being hacked. I’m the only one using it. I’m the only one accessing through Plex. Even when my computer is off and I’m doing no activities, I see constant heavy activities and the drives are going crazy. On my modem I see sending is lighting like crazy with heavy upload which tell me something is really going on. I wish PR4100 had a tool where I can see what trigger and where my things are being uploaded to and how to stop them.

2 Likes

Doubt if you are being hacked. Plex is veryresource hungry and is always checking with the Plex mother ship and updated stuff – and why I turn it off when not being used!

Thanks Mike.

The Staffs are going quiet as if they don’t care. I’m worried about my securities and privacy. I don’t think it has to do with Plex. I just don’t know. The PR4100 has nothing to show what’s using those heavy upload. It’s happening all the time.

Then I don’t know what else to say. All I know is if I have Plex turned on, on my WD NAS, the NAS has a lot of disk activity all the time, so I turn off Plex in NAS and activity stops.

You can often see activity in the Dashboard of your router. For example, before shutting down my laptop last night I saw on the router’s Dashboard activity graph, heavy download activity was happening on my 5G wireless signal. No 5G device was being used to stream video, etc. The only devices connected 24/7 to my 5G are two Amazon FireTV sticks and a Chromecast device. These devices often receive software updates automatically, and I attributed the activity to that happening, because the download stream was continuous, not pulses as streaming video is.

So, if you know next to nothing about using the router dashboard and interpreting the activity, we are just being paranoid about “hackers”.because we see there is heavy activity on our network. Hackers don’t give a rip about us – they are going after bigger fish.

Like I said, TURN OFF Plex and notice the activity drop to minimal. I also am not impressed with Plex and keep it off most all the time. I have other/better ways to get the music/video streaming jobs done.

1 Like

I didn’t know you were one of the staffs. Thanks for more information.

Thanks DAWV21. I’ll try that later.

How do you turn off Plex on the NAS? Or is this something that only matters if I have the app installed?

That didn’t solve it.

While signed in on the dashboard, click on APP above. On the left side, you’ll see all the apps. Click on Plex Media Server, Click the RUN APP on or off.

I don’t even have Plex installed and my PR4100 is still going crazy all the time with none of my devices connected to it.

Exactly. I don’t use it either as I explained to the OP. It just makes the NAS run all the time as it tinkers with the media database on the NAS.

So again to OP and new guy also having trouble:

If you have Plex installed and ON, and the NAS is just racing away, turn off the App as dswv42 explained. to see that the NAS settles down, and if it does, then Plex is the problem, and find other ways to play your media.

If you do not have Plex installed and the NAS is still running all the time (after it has initially constructed its database,) then you have another issue and suggest you contact WD Support. Neither I nor anyone else helping here so far are WD Staff; we are users like you.

We will have to contact support now as advised.

On the other hand, I LIKE and USE the Cloud feature often. It is a big feature, and I use it remotely with My Cloud app whenever I am away from my home network to listen to music and view videos when I want to.

What kind of info is WD or anyone “collecting” I should worry about? My NAS has media on it only.

What is the best VPN would you recommend? Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on Open VPN. I will look into it next week when I am back home.
My Asus router sets up an Asus VPN to use with it’s AiCloud app which used to work great until their firmware updates messed it up. I cannot get into the NAS as I previously could, and all I can do with app now is access a drive I have connected to the router within home and remotely.

@ dswv42

I was watching How To Use OpenVPN on PC video on YouTube. I see that someone get a VPNGATE file and placed it somewhere inside OpenVPN program. I was watching it without sound until I get home. Would you recommend it?

The YouTube video is small here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_pzKU3TaU

Thanks

@ dswv42

I already created an account with OpenVPN. I’ll download the app to my laptop and PC. Do I have to configure the PR4100 or my router?

Any tips/

Thanks in advance.

Thank you my friend