WD Please Stop

WD please please please stop adding streaming links to this box…I don’t want baseball, Facebook on my TV why…all the other stuff is coloured boxes I don’t care about…

Please and I hate myself for saying this, make a new WD Hub, forget  the “Live”, all the stuff you put on there makes me want to be dead.

Lets make everything customizable, icons, placement the works, lets go back to basics and throw everything at aesthetics. You are on top of most file playing issues now, but you are letting the whole point of a media player pass by, we want to impress our friends and family as well, with flashy graphics and cool information.

Flixter-esque would be the best example I could give.

My friends and family don’t want to see crappy games and nonsense like that. I have an Android tablet and Phone for that.

Lets call it WD Movie Box. Its going to be great…Only allow it to connect to the internet to get metadata, keep all those kbs for power. Lets…Ok you do it… :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

Love the rant brother, and that is why I bought the box in the first place, for all my local media. Gotta say though, got myself addicted to some of the streaming apps, TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify etc. Nothing like sitting back on the couch with the wireless keyboard surfing Youtube on the widescreen,

Sure, I could happily get rid of 75% of the junky apps they have on there, but for the few I use, it definitely enhances the box for my needs. If they pulled out that stuff, a lot of us here would  then need to buy another device (Roku, a bluray box etc) that had those apps. And yes that would be a trade off I would live with if they enhanced the “aesthetics” as you put it.

I don’t use NetFlix but am willing to bet a lot of people who buy these things use it for that app alone a majority of the time. I am guessing they are not the folks on this board though.

Really digging Spotify these days…

-P

Oh that is sad news to hear you use those things :slight_smile:

If I want any of that stuff I use my tablet. I did not get a 46" 1080p TV to watch Youtube, although I am prone to using Flingo with music videos whilst drunk. :slight_smile:

will have to agree with you wdtvhub.

i have a nokia n8, iphone 4, ipad 2, and 50 inch panasonic smart tv, and apple tv 2. just how many youtube and bbc iplayers do i need ?. i  can surf the net on my pad and airplay using appletv quite happily.

so how about making something that does one thing very well, instead of lots of things badly. fix the problems you have, instead of adding more stuff that is aimed at the american market, that doesnt work, or just produces more problems.

The youtube leanback is the only service I use.

I agree. Too many useless apps and not enough honing in on Existing features. So many existing things need to be fixed and new “Functional” Apps are welcomed. 

All this crapware/bloatware geared towards the “cool crowd” isn’t rowing my boat. Honestly, for a $200 device, it offers very little. But its the way of the industry. Offering little at a time. They could surely design a product that would do what its designed to do VERY VERY Well. But they need to make money. How do they make money? With the bloatware and junk some of us more technically inclined do not care about. While the Hub is a decent product, it doesn’t stand on its own. A dedicated HTPC/MediaServer are a MUST! 

WDTV now serves wife and kids :slight_smile: and by the next few days there will be a vote on whether we keep it or I build another HTPC or buy a more expensive device Heheh.  I really dont like returning products, but what I despise more is being a Paying Beta Tester.

if you don’t want to use the apps, dont click them :stuck_out_tongue: I never use the services/games tab. only movies.

1 Like

Thats not the point though…

They kick out these new Apps…and games a little while back, whilst people are still having issues with Audio and Video.

And people like myself who have the odd glitch and can live with it, want Theming improvments…so yeah you are right I dont use them, but I am pretty sure without looking that no one has asked for a Baseball streaming application, but its there now

1 Like

i agree to the opinion that the hub has too many useless apps (especially for non-us areas). i actually only  use at most a hand full of them and now, after upgrade, the most enjoyed, vimeo, doesn’t work anymore:angry:

does anyone else have the same issue???

edit: just saw that there are some with this issue

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/Hub-doesn-t-connect-to-my-Vimeo-account/idi-p/361831

It would be interesting to know the revenue relationship between WD and all of the app destinations. If I could speculate, WD has a financial incentive to partner with other destinations. For example, Netflix must be providing WD a small piece of the streaming revenue to enable their service through the hub. Even the “free” app destinations have some sort of advertising base. So it behooves them to incentivize WD to add their services to the hub.

If this is the case, there is a real reason to add apps and to not expend resources on the basic media player functions.

Mind you, I’m not saying this is good. It’s possibly a rationale for the endless stream of new apps.

Any thoughts?

Yes without a doubt they must get something out of it…

It also fills advertising space for them as well, If people don’t have Blurays or Xvids like a lot here bizzarely, then they will see all the streaming options and it will be a selling point. I can understand non USA people like myself being disheartened when everything is based in the USA, but as I and others have said, who wants iPlayer and the likes on it, when I have that on loads of other devices I own.

I am quite happy with WD sticking on streaming apps, its their business obviously, but the Theming side is a joke really. Certain things were doable with old firmwares as the experts have shown, and is the reason why they still make themes for old firmwares. I can’t really see what they have broken to make this not viable, the PNG issue especially.

I tell you what though, I bet its the Themers here that keep peoples faith in these boxes, and WD should sit up and assist them.

i’d bet 17 of my apps on this :smiley:

I’ll see your 17 apps and raise you another 4 for the next FW release. :smiley:

call!

Oh don’t for the love of god!

We will end up with a Streaming Poker channel or a Blackjack game :slight_smile:

I can see through your bluffling. I’ll raise you another 5! I’ve got useless apps stuffed in my hub!

pssst… it’s already there…

True…

Stop calling them Apps…you can delete Apps. :slight_smile:

Very true. They’re streaming links. A.K.A. yet new ways to crash the hub.

I got an idea. Release a FW without services and games and open it up for the community to modify to there liking. Myself I would not care if access to all these service were gone since I never use them. There a many programmers out there who would love to get a shot at improving the interface. IE music interface and be able to use such token as @@studio and others. My last 2 cents. I can’t see this device getting any better looking at the quality of FW released in the last year. I will be staying at FW ver 2.07 until I can get a Raspberry Pi and run XMBC on it.