WD Pi Disk / Custom OS? / Allocating RAM

Dear Community,

Installed a 1TB drive to my raspbian using the boot SD provided. However, now I find that many if not most Raspbian native paths and sometimes even commands don’t work (as expected).

Is there a Raspbian documentation available specific to the Modified OS?

I’m trying to re-allocate ram and I’m unable to do so :frowning:

Help is much appreciated!

Warm Regards,

-Joseph.

Can you give us a few specifics on the issues you’re having? What command(s) aren’t working, and what are you expecting? Similarly for paths.

I’m also not sure what you mean with reallocating RAM. Do you mean the main/video RAM split? Calls to malloc()? Something else?

Hi there Bob! Thanks for the quick revert!

Commands tried & not working :
sudo rpi-update [GPU/CPU]
tried a bunch of combinations using 1024 as a baseline, also 1200 also inversing CPU/GPU… also going small GPU = 32,64,128
sudo vcdbg reloc … get an error … verbose… and impossible to understand…
I also tried a script called Select4 available here: New Raspberry Pi Ram Selector Script – Version 4 – The Rantings and Ravings of a Madman

I placed the script in /boot/ and tried to run it with ./select4.sh got an error : access denied
same thing with sudo… same thing with sudo bash…

I would tell you about which Paths i tried, but I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of my peers :slight_smile:
suffice it say i’m looking for the config.text in the /boot/ which of course doesn’t exist…

Again, thanks for the help already! Hope I can manage!

Cheers from Paris!

Hi, the info below may or may not be related to your issue, but just in case:

The OS installer software provided with the WD PiDrive 1TB is Berryboot. In general, Berryboot does not support updating OSes from within the OS. Berryboot OSes are modified versions of the original OSes, converted to be compatible with the Berryboot system. At the discretion of Berryboot’s developer, new OS versions are converted and uploaded to the Berryboot OS repository. Instructions are provided at the Berryboot site on how to modify an OS to create a Berryboot version:
http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot/adding_custom_distributions

One possible option for you is to use the WD PiDrive Foundation Edition software, which is based on the R-Pi Foundation’s NOOBS OS loader software. It is similar in purpose to Berryboot, but the architecture has some fundamental differences. As with Berryboot, Foundation Edition (NOOBs) enables you to install multiple OSes and launch from a boot menu. The main difference with Foundation Edition (NOOBs) is that OSes can’t be added or removed after installation, though you can erase and reinstall from scratch. The OSes installed in Foundation Edition (NOOBs) can, however, be updated from within the installed OS.

Foundation Edition is NOOBs, with minor changes that focus the OS menu on Raspbian and Raspbian Lite. It allows you to install multiple instances of Raspbian Lite to provide a quick starting point for command-line programming projects. Below is a link to a beta-level release of the latest Foundation Edition (foundation-edition-20170524.zip). To install, download the file and unzip it (using 7-zip utility) to the root directory of a new or freshly-formatted SDcard, 4GB or larger. If reformatting an sdcard, use SDFormatter utility with Resize and Full Overwrite options enabled.

Link to foundation-edition-20170524.zip:

Thanks.

As far as the RAM split goes, have you tried raspi-config (sudo raspi-config)? Under “advanced options” on the main menu it has a “memory split” subcommand; not sure why you’re using third party scripts to do this.

I’m not familiar with vcdbg, vcgencmd etc, so I really can’t help there I’m afraid.

Similarly, I’m not familiar with berryboot other than having downloaded it and tried it once but it does mess with a lot of “standard locations” if I recall correctly. Accordingly, dwcsja is in a much better position to help than I would be.