WD photo app

Though change is inevitable its a shame this app is being retired. I find it really flexible way of uploading different types of images in multiple folders up to my mycloud device. Not sure the my cloud mobile app is as flexible. Sometimes I do think change isn’t always the right decision.

Hi,

Good observation. Please try the WD My Cloud app and test that. Please let the community know about the application and if you find anything that you think that could be different please create a new post on the ideas board to see it that can be implemented on a future update.

Well, it would be nice if the unique features of the Photo app could be merged into the MyCloud app.

Are they? Will they be? Why would you remove functionality? Don’t answer that…

Really, WD customers shouldn’t have to explain the blatantly obvious.

Never used the MyCloud app.

Does the MyCloud app automatically upload pics/vids right after you take them to the NAS? Does it keep the same directory format (using your google name). Does it sort them out by months in different directories?

If it does… why hasn’t this been done sooner? What special stuff does the photos app have over the mycloud app?

My Cloud uploads them to your Google user name, but it does not put them in folders by date - just one big folder.

Also, I don’t think viewing pictures is as “easy” on the My Cloud app as it is with WD Photos. WD Photos, the pictures show up much easier, faster, and it’s easier to browse quickly.

I’ll be upset to see WD Photos go.

Just one big folder isn’t going to work for me.

WD better change the mycloud app so it mimics the photos app. Or at least give the option to put them in folders.

Agree! It’s much easier to browse photos when it adds a separate folder.

I just find the My Cloud app clunky to use, and also kind of slow.

----- Reply message -----

1 Like

Can we get someone who works for WD chime in on this issue about the MyCloud app getting additional features to mimic the photos app?

I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but it seems like this thread is more recent and therefore WD staff may actually respond:

It is understandable that sometimes WD will need to retire an app to give way to a better replacement, but the replacement should NOT have less features than the original… That is taking a step backwards… Using the new MyCloud app for auto-backup doesn’t group backed-up photos into monthly folders, meaning accessing/searching/sorting/caching this folder in a year’s time (even in a few months’ time depending on usage) will be a major problem as that folder will become MASSIVE in size.

This issue really needs to be addressed. I hope more MyCloud app users will agree with me on this and put pressure on WD to improve the quality of their products.

Thanks.

Brilliant app, please don’t simply kill it off. We rely on it a great deal.

I agree. I had no idea the photo viewer app was discontinued. I accidently deleted it last week on my iPad and was very surprised to find that The app no longer could be downloaded from app store.
I have a great number of photos stored on my Mybooklive and am very dissapointed to find that I no longer can access them / quickly browse through them in the easy way that the WD photos app allowed for (with thumbnails). Restricted to My cloud I find it much much harder to find a particular picture.
Iwould encoutage you to bring something similar to WDPhotos back!

I’ve been using WD Photo app for years and totally freaked when, after a recentu iOS update, the rotate photos didn’t work. So I tried to update WD Photo app at the Apple App Store an was redirected to the new myCloud app. After installation i’ve been able to access all my 100,000 or so photos with My Cloud using the same directory tree structure (by year and by numbered event within each year) as before. Of course I maintain those file with Windows Explorer and have never tried to maintain them from my iPhone. And the pictures rotate okay.

BUT I’M still freaked out by the loss of the
Search Function. Many of my photos have the names of the subjects in their file names, and using search for the name of my subject would isolate all those pics with the friend’s name in them.
I’d also like to see a slideshow function in the My Cloud app.