WD Passport won't unlock after Mac OS update!

Think the one caveat with this is if you have an older model drive like “My Passport Studio” this does not appear to work. The security download doesn’t recognize the Studio and Catalina treat the old WD Unlocker as malicious software, locking you out. I sent a note to WD to see about getting a definitely answer. Thanks for sharing the original post - I was initially hopeful.

Only way to unlock an older drive like My Passport Studio is to use a Mac with an older operating system and WD security to unlock it. Then remove the password.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13880/track/AvPyrQqTDv8S~WsdGpoe~yJj0nMqyy75Mv~v~zj~PP8m

This worked on Mojave even though this wasn’t listed among the supported older Mac OS.

I can now use my old My Passport Studio on my Mac running Catalina. One issue, My Passport Studio is still not “seen” by WD security or other WD tools on the Catalina OS, meaning you can’t set up password protection. It works like an unsecured drive. And, I can get my backup data off it, so all is good.

Hi everyone

I have just installed Catalina and when I attached WD My Passport 1 TB Drive (WDBBEP0010BSL-PESN) I can no longer write to the drive.

I did the “Get Info” and tried to change from Read to Read & Write and received an error message saying “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission”. I have unlocked the “Get Info” with Administrator password.

I followed the advice in this group - Installed the WD utility and security. They can’t see my drive. I installed the Firmware but after finding the firmware and installing it, it bombed out!

I can read the drive but just can’t write to it.

All advice welcome

Thank you

M8

I installed the security update. The app stalls on the Attach Supported Drive screen. I’ve tried two different Passport drives. No luck. Advice?

Okay so the one question that I have is…for some reason the password isn’t working (could be I have forgotten it which wouldn’t be surprising sadly); if it is due to my forgetfulness, how do I change the password or at least bypass it until I can change it? Anyone? I haven’t heard back from WD about this issue at all; I’m a bit frustrated that there doesn’t seem to be a way to communicate directly to them; I’m not the most computer savvy person so having to figure this stuff out on my own is super frustrating (though I’ve gotten a lil’ used to it being a Apple user lol - still frustrating)

Dear WD Community,

I have the following problem: I have a WD Passport (1 TB), which worked perfectly fine until I re-installed my MacBook Air (OS: High Sierra 10.13.6). Ever since this re-install, the password is not recognized by neither of the official WD softwares (WD Driver Unlock, WD Drive Utilities, WD Security, WD Discovery).
I have also tried to open my disk on a different machine - no luck so far.
I am 100% sure that I am using the right password.
It is utterly upsetting.

Please let me know if you have any solution for this issue. Your inputs and tips are muchly apprectiated!

What is your WD drive model?, How do you make it work in your iPad?, I have the same issue but still not able to make it work.

Hello! Looks as if this is “a thing” when new OS arrives. For Big Sur, I can no longer open my WD Drive (My Passport). Please help. :wink:

-Aaron

1 Like

Amazing thank you! it worked a treat I was starting to freak out lol

I have the same issue. It now tells me to open it from the "WD Unlocker "CD, which I don’t have. Please help!

I have the same issue with you. Please follow this link to install the latest WD patch: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29822. Then use that software to access your WD Passport, assuming that you still remember the existing password.

1 Like

Much appreciated. That worked! :slight_smile:

Same issue with me
this link saved me
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29822 click here

Thanks!

Ron Cohen, M.D.
246 Harriman Road
Irvington, NY. 10533

Is it some way to update “wd unlocker” on hdd for working on another computer without necessity installing wd security to all comp???