WD Passport Ultra - Wipe Methods & Smartware partition

My question is whether or not the typical wipe methods would suffice to remove any possible traces of malware. I was thinking about doing an ATA secure erase using Partedmagic, but evidently there’s a risk of bricking the drive? The other methods would be to wipe using DBAN and/or gparted, but apparently the hidden Smartware partition stays intact regardless of these methods. I guess my real question is, can malware store itself in this hidden partition despite wiping the rest of the drive — and if so, would a secure erase work? (despite the risk of making the drive unusable altogether).

Hello,

If you have a Malware on the drive, I’ll recommend you to use a good software to remove that. [quote=“Setio, post:1, topic:175413”]
can malware store itself in this hidden partition despite wiping the rest of the drive
[/quote]

Not sure if that’s possible. Let’s see if any of the users can share some information about it.

Yes I was planning on just wiping the drive ERmorel, but evidently it’s difficult to do a full wipe due to the Smartware partition. I just needed to know whether malware could inject itself/hide in this way.