WD Passport Ultra - Files on external drive not showing

Hi there,

I’m having a slightly frustrating scenario with my WD Passport Ultra. I’m running Sierra on a 2014 MBP.

Here is my situation:

• A folder on my drive root called ‘Flims’ used to contain approximately 400 films.

• I accessed the drive, randomly ‘Films’ D through Z appear to be missing although the disk usage remains the same.

• Fast forward two weeks - Access ‘Films’ again, folder completely empty. Folder states ‘Zero Bytes Size’ yet usage of disk remains the same.

• Attempt to recopy a single film back into ‘Films’ folder - Message “File already exists, do you want to replace” appears. So it seems the files are still there on some parallel universe.

• Have changed ‘Show hidden files’ in terminal, no joy.

So, I’m stumped, I’m guessing its corrupted but it would be nice if I could repair the disk.

Open to ideas.

Many thanks

Hi Flambo44

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support if you are having trouble with the form.

What file system is your WD formatted to? You say it is corrupted? Did you run Disk Utility Repair on your WD? Can you try connecting your WD to another Mac? Are you able to copy paste new files to your WD? If your drive is corrupt you will have problems writing to this disk. Let know.

Edit: Can you connect your WD to a lower macOS like Yosemite/Mavericks?