WD Passport Essential & OSX Mavericks

Hello, All.

About a month ago I wiped my drive clean and backed up all the information on my computer without any trouble. About a week ago (09/04) my computer’s internal HD crapped out so I had to completely reboot the Internal HD and reinstall Mavericks 10.9.4 and therefore, I lost all of the information on my computer. 

Now I plug in My Passport and it doesn’t show up on Finder-- only the WD Smartware VCD appears. I click on the installer, choose “retrieve files”, and the “estimated time remaining” bar shows but I get the rainbow wheel and the installer freezes. When this happens, the External HD stops spinning and the LCD blinks slowly until I force quit the installer. 

If I go to Disk Utility the drive will show up but it won’t allow me to mount it from there either. When I verify the disk, all the diagnostics say it “appears to be normal.” I contacted WD customer support on 09/08 and explained the issue and they said they’d complimentary send me data recovery software, yet I haven’t heard back from them yet.

Has anybody else had this sort of problem and figured it out? A lot of the other questions in the community seem to be about External HD’s with Mavericks but they all seem to be with issues with corrupted disks instead of simple installation issues like mine. And no, I don’t plan on the only solution being to wipe my drive clean with 400 gigs of data on it and start over; that kind of takes away the point of trying to retrieve files, amirite?!

Also, I’m using the original USB cable, I  installed a driver but the SmartWare’s VCD Turbo-Driver won’t let me install, and I don’t have any other Macs to connect to.

Thanks,

Macbook mid-2010

Mavericks 10.9.4

My Passport Essential 2.0

Hello,

I recommend using a data recovery software to try and recover your data.  there are several kinds of Data Recovery software available. If you do a  web search for  Data Recovery  it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.