WD Passport can not be located

Hi,

I’m new here and I’m not very technical. I have a few WD passport for a couple of years. A few years ago I had one that was not showing up anymore on my mac and then it happened to another one. And now there are 3 with the same issue.

I was wondering whether the external disks are broken now or can I do something to get them back again?

Hope someone can help me out

Many thanks,
Hazy

Hi hazy,

You can refer to the link mentioned below to resolve the issue.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8200

If I understand this correctly this is an instruction to reformat the disk which means I will loose all my data. Is this correct?

Sure will … it will wipe everything.

(well, not really, you could then attempt a time consuming data recovery provided there’s nothing wrong with the drives.)

Try different USB cables … Try connecting them to different computers eg. friends, family, work etc

The chances of “3” hard drives with the same issue is rare … or you are extremely unlucky.

Try a different computer … maybe the USB port on your computer is faulty.

I have already tried different cables, ports and computers. The same cable and the same port did work for another external hard drive. Surely you would understand that reformating would be my last option I want to go for. But I assume there is no other option

Yes, i understand that … which is why i never recommend reformatting as the first option which the john15 WDStaff advised you to do.

I was answering your question to him … “If I understand this correctly this is an instruction to reformat the disk which means I will loose all my data. Is this correct?”

Thanks for your help. I just reformatted the disc anyway. The problem seems to have resolved. My computer can locate the disc now. But after copying a few folders to the disc I’m getting the following error: The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)

dunno, i don’t own a Mac

plenty of hits on google regarding error code 50 … dunno if any of it is useful

Thanks for helping. I haven’t been able to resolve this. I might post a new topic for this. At least the disc is located. So one problem solved.