WD Passport - 2TB _ Use it as USB thumb drive to store files

Im using windows7. Purchased WD Passport 2TB two days before. I dont want regular backup of my PC just I need to work WD passport as USB Thumb Drive…that is to copy files from PC to Passport and use it from passport whenever needed. Is it is OK to just copy files from my PC to passport through windows file explorer. I dont want to use WD Smartware. But the disk space indicator does’nt show the space occupied by the file that I just copied and just showing only 1.81 TB free of 1.81 TB…Help me what is the problem…?

It should work fine without installing the software. How big was the file you transfered? Does the file show up on the drive?

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. I have transferred one 8 GB movie file. The file shows in the drive as it is. But the disk space indicator does’nt show the space occupied by the file. It just showing only 1.81 TB free of 1.81 TB.

I don’t know why the space isn’t changing. Make sure you don’t use this drive as the only copy of important data. You always want at least 2 copies on important data on different drives or devices. To many people find out the hard way after they loose thier files they moved off the PC  and didn’t have a second copy. One more thing don’t bother with the firmware updates unless you are having  problems with the drive. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Joe 

1 Like

Yeah, you are correct Joe. It is best to have a 2 copy of important data. The reason why I changed to this mind is because I cant able to play or view the file through WD Smartware application. For example if I connect the Passport in my friends PC I cant able to use it as plug and play type. I have to copy the file to the pc and use it. Is it possible to view or play media files through WD smartware…?

Kumaresh wrote:

Thanks for the reply Joe. I have transferred one 8 GB movie file. The file shows in the drive as it is. But the disk space indicator does’nt show the space occupied by the file. It just showing only 1.81 TB free of 1.81 TB.

It’s Rounding.

8GB is a very tiny number beyond the decimal point of the space indicator.  8GB is 0.008 TB.

1.81TB - 0.008 TB is still 1.81TB.  The PC isn’t going to say 1.802 TB.

You’d need at least 50-100 gigabytes of data on the disk to affect the number (depending on the math.)

1 Like

You are right man…After I transfer more files it show the correct disk space available. THANKS :smiley: