WD Passport 1 TB on Mac 10.5.8 really slow

I just bought this and i thought i did everything necessary regarding drivers but when i try and transfer a file it is extremely slow, like 1 gb would take hours it seems like. Also when i plug the hard drive in it seems to freeze th WD Smartware application. Is there some way i can just hard restore the portable hard drive like back to factory setting? I have no idea what i did wrong to it as it sits on my desk all day but any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, If you want to get the drive back to the way it was default, you would have to reformat the drive, this will erase all the files and errors from the drive, To determine if the drive is bad you can run the FirstAid on Disk Utility, however, try conecting the drive on a different USB port, try on the tower directly if it is a desktop computer.

The partition says it failed because my Mac was unable to unmount the disk?

also when i open up WD smartware and go under setting the set up drive isnt even available. My computer does recognize the drive as passport on my desktop though. So i can’t even run the smart test.

Any other ideas?

WCravens wrote:

The partition says it failed because my Mac was unable to unmount the disk?

also when i open up WD smartware and go under setting the set up drive isnt even available. My computer does recognize the drive as passport on my desktop though. So i can’t even run the smart test.

Any other ideas?

Restart your Mac and try again, or use the installation disc of OSX to boot from it and format the drive like if you were going install OSX on it. Be careful not to kill your main drive.

i was able to go ahead with the partition but there’s no difference. I tried uploading an 1.4 gb file and it said 11 hours. Now i cannot remove the drive by ejecting it as it says some unknown app is using it.

I opened up WD Smartware and when i try to do a SMART check or any of the others it just kind of freezes for a few minutes and returns to normal as if i did nothing? (it says all 3 tests failed at the top)

Any tips or should i just call customer supporT?

OKay I got it to partition and now it shows up on the desktop as the standard yellow external drive with the USB logo. My WD Smartware doesnt recognize it at all eventhough i installed the wdfirmwareupdater and it still takes forever to load a file on there. (700MB=5+hours) I installed turbo twice and restarted and still nothing. I decided to go back to disk utility and verify the disk and it needed to be repaired so im trying that now. No clue where to go from here :frowning:

I feel like ive downloaded everything and installed it that I can but still no luck

UPDATE: Okay so the repair seems to have done the job and fixed the drive in terms of speed but how do i get it to be recognized by WD again? Also i would like to install turbo so the icon changes form the yellow usb to the silver onetand hopefully even faster?