WD MyCloud

Hi All,

I’m thinking of buying a WD MyCloud 3 or 4 TB.

One thing isn’t clear to me.

If I buy a MyCloud, can I work with the MyCloud and never need anything from WD or the WD site again ??

I have read somewhere that for some things you need WD.

Any Ideas on this ??

Itsme32 wrote:

Hi All,

I’m thinking of buying a WD MyCloud 3 or 4 TB.

One thing isn’t clear to me.

If I buy a MyCloud, can I work with the MyCloud and never need anything from WD or the WD site again ??

I have read somewhere that for some things you need WD.

Any Ideas on this ??

I think what you are asking is whether or not the apps have to go through the WD site.

The answer is Yes and no.

In the past, the WD Cloud app can access your cloud device at home by generating a code on the device then you enter the code on your iphone/ipad/android app to gain access. You can continue to do this today bypassing WD altogether.

However if you want to send a link to one of your movies, photos, or something stored on your cloud device, then yes you will need WD to forward that link to someone that you emailed and to provide a link back to your device when your recipient receives and downloads your photo, movie or just a file.

Wd2go will require a WD site ID and it provides you with direct access to your files at home as though you were linked locally. This program runs on your laptop.

Today, with one ID you can gain immediate access to your cloud through the cloud app, wd2go or more without having to generate codes or open ports etc. WD tries to create a seamless cloud access and it is getting better with each firmware update.

So if you use it as a NAS only with local access and the cloud app using generated pin number access, you can bypass WD entirely. 

If you want to use your Cloud device as a real Cloud that allows you to forward links to your photos, movies and other files, then you will need to access your device through WD portal; however I believe that all they do is keep track of your IP and passes that info to your cloud app. 

1 Like

Yes, just click cancel when you first login to the UI to NOT create an account with WD. This will allow you to use the hard drive purely locally with no cloud connection back to WD.

1 Like

Ok guys thx

I will not be buying a WD MyCloud :slight_smile: