WD Mycloud - USB 3 ->> ethernet converter

HI,

I’m new to the forum.

I have a 4TB box in the corner, had it for a couple of years but not really used it. It has a USB 3 (blue) port and an ethernet port. The ethernet port goes straight in to the router and all is well.

I have just bought a Dell XPS 13 i7/8 gen. I understand that the WD box must be plugged in using ethernet and using USB only adds a second drive. Dell XPS 13 does not have ethernet (only Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3).

Is there any way I can get the benefit of the 4TB directly from my Dell XPS using the USB 3 facility - would I be able to if I bought a USB 3 adaptor to ethernet and then joined them up? Or is there a way I can use the Thunderbolt 3 port?

Many thanks

@deserrol

Which WD device do you own?

http://learn.mycloud.com/

Hi cat0w - if I’m honest, I’m not sure specifically which product I have :frowning:
But the product ID is:
“Registered Product: WDBCTL0040HWT-EESN” and it’s form the WD MyCloud range. The warranty expied min May 2017 so I suspect I have had it since May 2016, so just 2 years old.

Basically I just want to use the 4TB as an external SSD for my Dell XPS 13 (which does have 512GB.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks

(and thank you for being a firefighter)