WD MyCloud stuck at safe mode

Hi everyone,

I have a WD My Cloud device, 6Tb, gen 2, and I haven’t found any info about unbrick this unit in particular.

I followed the procedure described at the topic “Success recover my MyCloud 3TB with fast blue blinking light after update firmware!”, but like lot’s of people, I’ve got stuck at safe mode with “Firmware Version: (BLANK)”.

When I tryed to Update the firmware at this point, the progress bar started to move, but no percentage was showing. There was no progress at all.

Before start to try something less conventional, I decided to save my files following the steps at this toppic “My Cloud dead, how to see content on Windows 10?”.

I use the Ubuntu aproach. Downloaded Ubuntu and ran it from a pendrive. The process to create the pendrive is here “Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus on Windows | Ubuntu”.

After save my files, I tryed to move on, without formating my HDD.

THE SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME:

I use the command “mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3” at telnet to format all the little partitions at the HDD. I just left the big one with all my files. You need to change the “…sda” part to the number of partition, in my case
“mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3”, than 4, 5, 6 and 7. The partition 1 was the system partition, the 2 where my files.

PS.: You can skip this part! Just for curiosity, when started to format these partition as I sad, I notice that I had a “boot” folder at partition sda3 and sda5. The one at sda3 I must have created while following the procedure at the first topic above… the one was the original. And there were 2 files, named “rescue_fw_version”, I thought it has to be with the "Firmware Version: (BLANK), tryed to copy them to sdb3 partition and erase “boot” folder at sdb5 partition, but it didn’t work.

After formating the partitions, I started to follow the topic “Success recover my MyCloud 3TB with fast blue blinking light after update firmware!” again and voila! Problem Solved!

Another thing, while choosing the firmware file from WD site, I’ve got some errors. The firmware that worked was the .BIN file. .TAR.GZ, .TAR files, didn’t worked out for me.

The system was restored, but it didn’t manage to recover my files. It didn’t show the files I left there. I needed to choose a RAID mode while configuring it and it got formated. So, before move one, you need to save all your files as described at the topic above!

Thats it! Hope to help! I haven’t find any solution at the forum about these "Firmware Version: (BLANK).

André