WD MyCloud Stops Streaming

I’ve been reading some of the tips on how to keep MyCloud stable for streaming, but it just isn’t working for me. Latest firmware v04.01.04-422. Performed a factory restore. Using static IP address. Gig backbone except for the modem out to the Internet. Using the tips from the townky FAQ sticky. Tried stopping the wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger. I put a single mp4 movie, about 600Mb, and it will stop streaming at random times. This happens with twonky DLNA from a Samsung blu-ray player using Ethernet, and from an Android device on wi-fi using the samba service I believe. I use ES explorer app and just play the file. Other PCs will hang as well on windows media player. I’ve resorted to running windows media center, and using a mapped drive to the NAS to serve up the movies that way. That is more stable, and that’s on a PC that’s connected wi-fi. From what I can tell, its just using file sharing port 139. I don’t feel its network related, because I am logged into the device via SSH while these interrupts are occurring, and I don’t get kicked out. Transfer speeds are fine too. Is there any other thing else to try? I’ve contemplated using miniDLNA too, but that doesn’t solve the samba access issue. Any acknowledgement from WD that this is still an issue?

No problems streaming across my local network both wired and wifi to; PC’s, Android’s and Roku’s. Couple of suggestions.

If you’re having trouble with the file when accessing via ES file explorer using an SMB file service, then it’s not just a Twonky/DLNA problem: it’s something wrong with either basic disk access on the drive, or with the file itself.

What happens if you copy the file back to your PC and try to view it from there? You could use WMP, or use ES file explorer to access your PC.

Do you still have the original file (the one you used to copy to the mycloud? Does that behave the same?

cpt_paranoia wrote:

What happens if you copy the file back to your PC and try to view it from there? You could use WMP, or use ES file explorer to access your PC

I can copy it from the NAS to my android device with ES file explorer, or copy it from NAS to PC and my android plays it fine either way…

Do you still have the original file (the one you used to copy to the mycloud? Does that behave the same?

Yes and it’s the same behavior.

I think I missed a step on the twonky FAQ where you should not use the default /Public/Shared folders. I copied the files from there to my existing user folder through the shell, and enabled sharing through twonky. For what it’s worth, I did see one file permissions discrepancy on the public folders vs user folder. -rwxrwxr - x+ vs -rwxrwxr w x+.

It seems to be working so far for DLNA. Have not tried smb yet. I hope this does it. Thanks for the input!

Bennor wrote:

No problems streaming across my local network both wired and wifi to; PC’s, Android’s and Roku’s. Couple of suggestions.

Testing this out now and is looking good so far.

Thanks for the reply!

I get/understand why choosing a static IP but why not use the Public folder?

The Public folder is fine, but I don’t recommend using the ‘Shared Media’ folders; see the Twonky FAQ for my explanation.