WD Mycloud in Raid Rebuild state?

So I happen to notice a RED light on my WD Mycloud 8TB yesterday (red always = bad)

I logged into the dashboard and noticed it was in raid rebuild mode.

What could have caused this?

Taking FOREVER too.

I found an article to speed up raid by doing:

sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000

To check you can use: cat /proc/mdstat

My times are not improving at all. In fact they fluctuate higher and lower times - no real improvement.

Btw the above mentioned command: sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000 → I issued via terminal by doing an ssh into the WD drive (ip 10.01.1.7). Is that the correct place to input this command? If I put that IP into safari, the WD dashboard comes up, so i assume i have the correct IP to use in my ssh command.

Thoughts as to this??

There are many possibilities ranging from a hard drive being dropped from the volume due a disk failure, to controller issues, to power issues. After the rebuild process is completed I’d recommend running a health test on the internal hard drives within your WD My Cloud Mirror.

Thanks,

Rebuild finished.

I ran a quick test under utilities or did you mean a FULL test?

Actually I forgot to hit send on this reply.

I have since tried a quick test. Its been running more than I would consider “quick”

I may give WD a call (not sure if its still on support though - I suspect not)

Trancer

The “quick” test took forever. (I ended up call WD who said it can take a while based on the amount of data) - which begs the question why do they call it a quick test LOL

That along with a system test came back fine. FW is at the latest. All lights are Blue. Data is accessible.

All is good - Thanks for your help

Thank you DeputyDawgAtl! The rebuild time went from 30,000 to 430 minutes.
Sine i dont understand much, didnt knowhow to imput the command. I used Putty.exe. Got he job done.

Do not buy WD. No support in Europe. Constant problems, not reliable. I my case second time in two days it’s frozen with the status rebuildind disk one. All disks have status good.