WD MyCloud Gen2 - Enable apps install tab + Apps!

Did anyone manage to install nodejs?

Hi All,

Tried everything and when I go to install I have to accept T&Cs but when I click on the aagree doesn’t do anything only option is to cancel so unable to install WDMyCloud_WDCrack_1.0.bin

Any clues on how to get round this…

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new here but your post is one of the reasons i joined. Is there any update on the iscsi front? I just got a ultra2 and would like to use the my cloud Gen 2 as a target. Thanks!

YES. I have gotten it to host targets already. I am currently working on getting the thing’s virtual volume manager working so that it can MOUNT iSCSI targets as well.

See this thread.

So far, I have tracked it down to missing an XML file (vv_search.xml), and missing another command line util (vvctl) Looks like the XML contains the unique initiator ID, and the commandline util does the magic. I am hunting for a sample vv_search.xml right now.

1 Like

Thanks! I replied to you in that thread (and ask some questions) as well.

How could I install applications that are for another WD Cloud model to my WD My Cloud Gen 2 model?
For example: There is an update for Plex. I try to download a version for My Cloud Mirror but my device says that it can not install the application.

How do you adapt?

Hi,

I’m very new to WD My Cloud. I’ve purchased WD My Cloud Single Bay 4 TB. It’s version is 2.30.165 now. As per my understanding from the previous comments, there is an issue with accepting T&C on Install Apps page. There is no workaround available since now for that.

So If anyone could solve that issue, plase let us know.

Thanks.

For those of you who can’t install because Accept Button is not working, you don’t have to downgrade your firmware.

Open up the console and run the following commands in order to use app installation properly. Be aware that you have to run those commands each time you refresh.
APPS_EULA=1
check_app_eula()

1 Like

Edit:

I was perplexed at first, but it’s really simple and works like a charm!
Thanks Fox_exe!

Regards, Chris

thanks for give us this gift,man.But my device is wd mycloudmirro gen2,I can not continue when I try “Install WDMyCloud_WDCrack_1.0.bin”,the web noticed “install failed”.can U help me?
thanks again…
good luck for U

I have the same problem ,man,if you solve it,please tell me.。。and i will tell U as the same.
my device is mirro gen2

This “Crack” only for Gen2 (Not mirror/ex2/or_any_other).
Only this model have disabled apps tab, all other models have full functional.

thanks for reply.
I can’t understand “full functional”,did U mean if my device is mirrogen2(all other models),i can install Apps directly ?
but MCgen2’s app does not apply to mirror?
thanks a lot

Yes; only the basic, single-bay MyCloud (the subject of this sub-forum) cannot have apps installed using factory firmware. Fox_exe’s ‘crack’ gets around that limitation, but is not needed on the other MyCloud models.

Since WD moved to a common firmware base for Gen2 models, apps should run on all these models.

1 Like

Yes. The multi bay My cloud models support adding apps through the My Cloud Dashboard. The single bay My cloud units (the subject of this subforum) do not officially support adding third party apps.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16513

No because the Mirror already has the app tab and installable apps already enabled.

The methods for enabling the apps tab and installing additional apps described at the top of this thread are for the single bay v2.x My Cloud unit not for any multi bay My Cloud unit.

If you need help with the My Cloud Mirror see the dedicated My Cloud Mirror subforum:

https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-mirror

Also read through the My Cloud Mirror User Manual and see additional My Cloud Mirror support at the following link:

https://support.wdc.com/cat_products.aspx?ID=1

1 Like

Yes, its compatable, but firmware are check model info in app header and doesn’t allow install app from different model.
But we can repack package for all models (Using WD app tool or manually edit file header info).

Thanks for reminding me; I’d forgotten about that little trick, that WD have used to try to limit app use, thus creating a vertical product market strategy… And thanks for finding out how to get around the trick…

@Bennor@Fox_exe@cpt_paranoia
thank you for replying me,it‘s really a great help for me.Good luck for you.
Now,I think I should try to learn how “repack package for all models (Using WD app tool or manually edit file header info)”

thanks again (^‧^)

@Fox_exe, great thanks for this wonderfull hack.
I was able to successfully install wdcrack & transmission on my gen2 mycloud (latest firmware 2.30).
Today I installed utilsupdate and utilsupdate_extra, which contains some very nice tools (ncdu,mc etc.) However I am not able to use many of them as running them through ssh gives me “unknown terminal xterm-termite” error
I tried to install bittorrentsync but that failed to install.

EDIT: solved by creating /home/root/.profile and adding

export TERM=xterm

@Fox_exe I need your help, or anyone’s, i’ve attempted the instructions by putting the define.js file in my public director as in /home/USER/Public/ i have run the commands and i know have a blank white screen just showing the WD my cloud logo.

Any idea where i went wrong?

Edit: Being an actual human being and reading i can see other people have had the same problem. following your advice earlier i am back to the app screen, and have basic functionality again. although i have no option to add the crack.

Edit2: Attempted to CHMOD the file just comes back saying “no file or directory found”