WD MyCloud Gen2 Chroot (+ Transmission and Minidlna)

Thank you. It looks like I need sth more powerful :slight_smile:

Sorry to bother, I already read this entire thread and the other one specifically about installing Debian, but I still fail to understand some of the important details.

I also already went through Fox_exe’s files looking for specifics but didn’t found what I was looking for.

I have a MyCloud EX2 Ultra (yes yes, I understood it’s just like the Mirror Gen2) with firmware version 2.41.116, my main need right now is just to make DDNS to work properly (not fast enough to IPv6 and only updates the loopback address to the server), so I don’t need to change the OS.
The possibility of briking the device is also a major issue since I currently have no other device large enough to backup during the procedure and be sure nothing would be lost.

If I understood it correctly so far, this Chroot procedure is to create an area on the device that will survive reboots and permits to install native linux programs using the usual apt-get method; Wile the other thread is to completely change the underling OS with full Debian. Is this correct?

So, how safe it is the Chroot procedure?
I just need to go to the Apps tab on my device, install the ChrootedDebian.bin for my version and it will be working?
Anything available to apt-get can be installed safely under the new root directory?

I would appreciate any help, doing anything beyond the most basic tasks has been a nightmare so far with this little box and the new OS 5 firmware seams just a much worse can of worms…

Hi @Fox_exe! Any chance you could please recompile the Debian app for Mirror Gen2, compatible with the latest OS5 (5.18.117)? Much appreciated, in advance.