WD MyCloud Gen2 Chroot (+ Transmission and Minidlna)

Sorry, I´m Newbie, how can I connect from MAC, I tryed a Transmission remote GUI using port:9091 but I get connection refuse.

Regards.

if someone had the same problem, I had to uninstall transmission using chmod
(chroot /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot /bin/bash)

apt-get remove --auto-remove transmission-daemon
update
apt-get update
and install again
apt-get install transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon

now all works fine.

apt-get purge transmission-daemon apt-get autoremove apt-get install transmission-daemon
“purge” - Delete package and all configs (“remove” only remove packagem not configs)
Install only trasmission-daemon. “Cli” and “common” will installed automatically.

I have a new question.
I use @ftorres method
apt-get remove --auto-remove transmission-daemon
update
apt-get update
and install again
apt-get install transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon
and I can open Transmission remote GUI now, but when I try to download something,an error says that
“Error: Unable to save resume file: Permission denied”
How can I do?
Thank you all

A new question,when I use this method,my MC can’t use any disk anymore unless I restart it,why

Thanks for this mate it really helped this was doing my head in.

I have another issue if anyone can help.
Its not a massive issue but i like to edit and move my downloaded files via SMB connection on my Macbook. I can edit all files on the drive other than the transmission “downloads” folder. I just get a popup asking for a password when i finish editing, which i don’t seem to know. Is it it possible to change the permissions of this folder so i can edit/move files?

Yes. Just run: chmod 777 /this/folder -R
But “right” way - is change transmission startup user (Somewhere in /etc/systemd/ scripts… Google it.)

Hi, I had the same issue, you can try this:

1. start chroot-delian.sh (./chroot-debian.sh start)

2. go inside chroot (chroot /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot /bin/bash) and run this.
    apt-get update
    apt-get purge transmission-daemon
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get install transmission-daemon

3. exit chroot-debian (exit)

4. stop chroot-debian (./chroot-debian.sh stop)
    if get error then reebot WDMYCLOUD ( WEB admin)

5. start chroot-debian (./chroot-debian.sh start)

6. try to connect IPADDRESS:9091
    if get error

7. go inside chroot (chroot /mnt/HD/HD_a2/chroot /bin/bash) and run this
    pkill -HUP transmission-daemon
    ps -fea | grep transmission-daemon (copy PID)
    kill (before copied PID)
    nano /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json
    change :

“download-dir”: “/mnt/shares/torrents”,
“incomplete-dir”: “/mnt/shares/torrents/temp”,
“rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1,192.168..”, (optional and the IP range that you are using)
“rpc-whitelist-enabled”: false,

1. exit chroot-debian (exit)
  2. stop chroot-debian (./chroot-debian.sh stop)
  3. start chroot-delian.sh (./chroot-debian.sh start)

try to connect ipaddress:9091 use user/password:transmission
and for me now everything is working fine.
after you can change the password using nano and the /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json file.

1 Like

Thank you for helping,but it still can’t work on my MC.There is a lots problems and the operation can’t continue.So I try to use Raspberry and everything OK.

Would it be possible to create/edit an app/module that contained a startup script that executed whatever change was desired? I would assume that the default image.cfs would load the installed apps. I have a single drive MyCloud Gen2 so I can’t add pre-compiled apps via the dashboard to test this.

I don’t have a gen2 to investigate. But the dns-323 d-link NAS operating system is very similiar to the gen2. If you google dns-323 and funplug. You will find information on how it allows changes to be made on boot.

RAC

You can edit the system_init file inside image.cfs to call whatever scripts you want. Precompiled app binaries could also be added to the image.cfs file.

I suspect that there is a limit to the size of the image.cfs file. But if you make a change to the system_init file to look for a script on the disk you can then add your files to the disk and just include the disk in the path variable. On my DNS-323 I have all of my additional apps on a USB device.

RAC

One big failure: image.cfs loaded into RAM. So, its limited only by ram size (512 in WDMC Gen2, But need 100+ MB free for OS and services)
Bigger image.cfs = less free ram = more lags / less speed.
Epic fail…

One more fail: In WDMC Mirror have same CPU (Armada 370). This CPU is “ARMHF” (Hardware FPU + Thumb2/ThumbEE extensions). But in WD firmware kernel compiled with “Software FPU emulation”.
Just compare:
Original kernel:

xor: measuring software checksum speed arm4regs : 169.600 MB/sec 8regs : 166.400 MB/sec 32regs : 166.400 MB/sec
Recompiled with Hardware FPU and ThumbEE:

xor: measuring software checksum speed arm4regs : 1225.200 MB/sec 8regs : 727.200 MB/sec 32regs : 876.400 MB/sec

Wow, that’s an amazing difference. I wonder if it will make UNRAR operations and repairing with quickpar for nzbget a lot easier. I wonder why WD didn’t compile the kernel with proper extensions and hw fpu support… Laziness, incompetence or compatibility issues?

@Fox_exe if you need testers for new kernel, i would be willing, let me know

Hi @Fox_exe, fix this line in this topic:

tar xvf chroot-jessie-gen2.tar.gz -C ../

Its a .tar file not a .tar.gz, use this, instead:

tar xvf chroot-jessie-gen2.tar -C ../

However, now I saw that there is a chroot-jessie-gen2 file for each version. What is the version I should use for my WD My Cloud Mirror Gen2. There is one?

The chroot-jessie-gen2.tar in folder WDMyCloud-Gen2 didn’t work. for me.

Errors? Logs?

Hi thanks for this,

I’ve got transmission working and downloading. The only problem is that I can not see my chroot folder on MyCloud and so can not access the files I downloaded??

Also do you know if there is a working unrar package?

Many thanks

unrar-free or p7zip

Inside chroot - /mnt/shares/
Outside chroot - /shares/
Use first path for transmission (Already set if transmission setup from chroot-install script.

Hello Fox_exe.

thank you for great work you are doing with WD devices. I have a question related to 2nd generation of WD My Cloud and access rights.

I have bought this device recently (3 TB version). Everything is working OK, but I have troubles with connecting to web UI or file share through Open VPN. My Open VPN server is running on main router. Local LAN subnet has address scope 192.168.14.0/24, WD My Cloud has 192.168.14.14. Client from VPN subnet gets address from scope 192.168.100.0/24. WD My Cloud is PINGable from VPN, but if I want to access Web UI, I get message "Forbidden - You don’t have permission to access / on this server. Same with file share.

Is there any possibility to modify device to allow access from different subnets then subnet of My Coud device?

I don’t want to use Open VPN in bridge mode due to incompatibility with Android/iOs devices.

Thank you for your reply!