Wd mycloud fan speed to high

Hi, I already have my Wd mycloud mirror over 2 years. Until now it was working well, fan speed was high only when I do back up my mac or was downloading anythink. Now the fan has always 7000 rpm all the time… even when I dont work with it. It is very loud and annoying. I think that the last firmware update did something with it but i didnt find anythink to resolve it. Can somebody help me or give me tips what can I do with it?
Thanks a lot, David

Hi Kukucskad,

I recommend testing the drive.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=10427&s=

Hi Kukucskad

The same thing happened to mine around the latest firmware release (I noticed it around 21/1). I came into my office and registered the high noise coming from the box. I logged on to check the cpu load on the dashboard and found that it was in fact running high. I then clicked the processes overview and sorted on cpu, and presto!..a cpu miner had been installed and was running overtime along with all sorts of small programmes to control and check the box. In other words, I had been hacked and the fan level suddenly gave them away after latest firmware release. I think you should check!

Regards Rune

Only after discovering this, I read this forum and found out how low the security had been for years…sigh

Hi Rune,

thanks for your reply. I already found cpuminer on my wd mycloud mirror. All the weekend I was trying to stop it. I think a good friend of mine did it for a while. Now it is quiet. But I am realy sad about it. It isnt safe enough, somebody could hack it and install cpuminer. I am happy that I didnt lost my stuff on it… But it can happen once more if WD didnt do anythink to stop it. The new firmware was installed on 01.18. I think the firmware update wasnt good enough. Before I installed it there was no problem whit safety.
I hope WD will release a new update as soon as possible.
Thanks David

1 Like

I know the feeling. You might have stopped the miner, but what else is potentially running? My box is switched off now. I need to find a safer solution.

I have the same problem: infection by “cpuminer”.
The virus is in the operating system which is not accessible to me.

See details in the other “cpuminer” thread:

I am waiting for a solution from Western Digital.

I received a reply from WD: Make a Full Restore to factory default settings !
Hours of backup first :frowning:
Then hours to restore to factory settings :frowning:
Then hours to upload the data again, after recreating all the shares :frowning:

Found on my WD NAS a cpuminer also… what a great feeling of being hacked …
First of all thank you WD for being silent on this subject !
Hate you WD :rage: