WD MyCloud Ex2 - how to wakey wakey and turn her on?

Note: These instructions are for Windows using the freely distributable wakeuponlangui (link below)
I have a very old (acquired in 2013) original edition of a MyCloudEX2 which is still running strong. I’m running this puppy with old firmware v 1.05.36 (the last one before the 2.nn.nn OS 3 series) because it doesn’t cooperate well with the later firmware (2.nn.nn and beyond) -I think because of hardware on the early EX2 controller board changed in later production especially with the ‘Ultra’ series. I recently upgraded my whole personal storage hardware and installed two WD Red Pro 8TB in the box.
I also recently got a Synology DS-220+ and because I am now enjoying the WOL that Synology implemented via their Synology Assistant I have often wondered if this old MyCloudEX2 box could be WOL enabled.
For Windows users the good news is a definite YES. The comments on the WD forum are correct in that even when the box is shut down (but still plugged in) the network board stays active and listening.
Here’s how:
I downloaded the GUI version of wakeuponlan from https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui which is a standalone executable that quite easy to configure. Since I’m not exposing this box to the www Cloud, I’m only using WOL on my private LAN so these instructions are based on that usage.
You need the IP and MAC address of your EX box which shows up in Windows explorer under the Network->Storage. Right click on the WDMyCloudEX icon and pull down Properties to see IP and MAC.
Attached is a screenshot of the wakeuponlangui with my entries: The gui nicely writes your entries (to itself?) so they are not lost and will gracefully reappear when you call it up later.
To test, login to the WD web browser page for your box and perform a Shutdown from your User icon pull-down in the upper right corner of the WD MyCloud browser screen. When all the LED’s out out and its completely shutdown, call up wakeuponlangui.exe and click Wake Up. If your entries are correct the top power light will start blinking and the box will begin rebooting.

WOL_wdmycloudex2

Since I’m not a WD Cloud user I haven’t tested this over an exposed WWW connection, but it should work remotely over the internet as well. Can someone verify this?

exactly that’s what i am doing - sonoff S31 from amazon like $9. i am so disappointed with WD and i am former WD employee :frowning:

Long time ago :open_mouth: but i use android, so no use to me.

Since i have 50 or more ZigBee sockets, might as well add 3 more for my WD network drives. From there on is just a matter of saying “Alexa, Drives On” a simple routine, switches the power off for 10 seconds, tells me it will take 4 minutes for the drives to be ready, then the routine switches power back on in 4 minutes, then the 3 drives boot