WD MyCloud™ DL4100 + Noctua NF-S12A PWM - push, or pull? Air pressure, or airflow?

Greetings,

I’m doing a lot of tests with my NAS. TBH, I’m having kind of massive temps on my WD Red Pro [two in there, and an empty space between them].

I tried the following [I removed the genuine fan, and I go with Noctuu NF-S12A PWM]

1. Push with Noctua NF-S12A PWM and max rpm.

2. Pull with Noctua NF-S12A PWM and max rpm.

3. Push with Noctua NF-S12A PWM and LNA.

4. Pull with Noctua NF-S12A PWM and LNA.

I’m still walking around 30-35°C/hdd [they’re jumpled space, not even close to each other], and 39-45°C at burn.

My question is. Why did guys in WD went pull path? It kind of gives me less sense. Or is it really better? [the suction/vacuum effect is much weaker in heavily perforated NAS, compared to push/blow effect].

Which one should I stick with? Push, or Pull?

Any chance I should stick with genuine fan? It’s really noisy :confused: and has inferior specs compared to my Noctua. It has though, different air pressure. Much higher. Though, NAS is about airflow, no? Or about air pressure?

Sorry for many questions,

regards

Bryan

**bleep**, that Sunon that WD uses is really good. He’s making some minor noise, that Noctua doesn’t, but has superior CFM. I’m gonna bench him on factory settings throuhg and through. I’ll be spilling dust on my head, when this Sunon will do better than Noctua, or Noctua Industrial :mansurprised:

Hello there,

Thanks for sharing this with with the community, this will help other make the desision in case they want to change the fan on their units. Please keep us posted on this.

Greetings,

I’m a…I just lost it. Total Commander failed in creation of my 10 - 15 years of work, and I lost 1/3rd of it. And since the NASes always work on Linux, none of them works on Windows, I had to format my genuine ntfs raid1 to ext4, and thus I lost all my data. I’m going to return the NAS from WD, and I’m gonna build a Windows server, which supports NTFS raid1 :frowning:

I can’t afford to work in non-homogene environment, it’s too risky and it cost me a LOT.

I’m really sorry, I won’t be using NASes in the future for mission critical data anymore, at least not till the time they’ll be homogene with Windows OS, and will support existing raid1 arrays, that were created in Windows OS,

take care guys!

Bryan