WD MyBookWorld II edition 2 TB

I have a  WD MyBookWorld II edition 2 TB    ☞   Modelnummer: WDH2NC.

One of the WD Caviar Green hard drives (1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 5400 tpm -buffer: 64 MB) fails (is in degraded mode).

Is it possible to replace with a WD Red WD10EFRX (1 TB - intern - 3.5’’ - SATA-600 -buffer: 64 MB cache) ?

When it is possible I plan to replace both of the hard drives.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the WD My Book Wold’s firmware will not accept WD Red drives as it was designed to use WD Green drives. Have you tried looking online for the same model number?

Also, the OS of the My Book World II is stored within the hard drives. If both of them are replaced at once then the unit will no longer operate.

Thank you for your quick replay.

Trancer wrote:

Unfortunately, the WD My Book Wold’s firmware will not accept WD Red drives as it was designed to use WD Green drives. Have you tried looking online for the same model number?

The WD Caviar Green hard drives are still available, but I though the WD Red hard drives are better and have an extended warranty.

Trancer wrote:

Also, the OS of the My Book World II is stored within the hard drives. If both of them are replaced at once then the unit will no longer operate.

Do you meant I have to replace first or only the one hard drive that fail ?

Thank you.

Update:

I need for WD My Book World Edition II the WD Caviar Green WD10EARS (1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 5400 tpm -buffer: 64 MB)   and is not available any more.

The WD Green WD10EZRX (1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-600 -buffer: 64 MB) is still available.

Kind regard. 

Replace only the failed hard drive. If you need to replace both hard drives then replace one hard drive first, rebuild in order to copy the OS to the new hard drive, then replace the second one.

EZRX WD Green drives have not been certified as compatible by Western Digital.

Trancer wrote:

Replace only the failed hard drive. If you need to replace both hard drives then replace one hard drive first, rebuild in order to copy the OS to the new hard drive, then replace the second one.

Thank you for your reply.

OK, that is clear for me.

Trancer wrote:

EZRX WD Green drives have not been certified as compatible by Western Digital.

If I understand you correctly, it is possible to replace first the failed hard drive with the WD Green WD10EZRX.

Then, if necessary, also replace the second hard drive.

Kind regards,

Raicya.

Raicya wrote:> If I understand you correctly, it is possible to replace first the failed hard drive with the WD Green WD10EZRX.> Then, if necessary, also replace the second hard drive.

Kind regards,

Raicya.

This is something I am unable to confirm as this has not been tested by Western Digital. The enclosure’s controller could reject EZRX models.

Trancer wrote:

Replace only the failed hard drive. 

The WD Caviar Green WD10EARS (1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 5400 tpm -buffer: 64 MB) for My Book World Edition II  is not available any more.

Could you please tell me with which hard drive I could replace the failed one?

Kind regads,

Raicya

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Thank you and I will certainly contact the Technical Support and/of the Support bij Country.

I’ll let you know the result.

@ Trancer:

FYI: just got answer from WD Customer Service and Support:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Apostolos.

My apologies for the inconvenience and the trouble you have with finding a replacement for the WD Green drive. I looked into the issue and, I’m sorry but we don’t have a compatible drive available. Based on the specifications of the WD10EARS, that you have in the WD MyBookWorld II, buffer size, capacity etc., we don’t drives that will work in the unit.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Perhaps this information helps other users of WD Caviar Green hard drives.

Thank you for your assistance.

The problem is not solved but case closed.

Kind regards,

Raicy

Hi
Have you got any other answer from customer support about possible compatible replacements.
I have got the same problem, as one of hard drives in MyBookWorld II failed.

BR, Jack