WD MyBook World Edition 2 - Alternatives?

Hello,

I’ve not been able to get my itunes working, even though I’ve  tried several solutions that i’ve found through this community &  other online advice, it still doesn’t work. i’ve given up on the mybookworld, can anyone suggest an alternative NAS Storage device (with the same functionality) that actually works within a mac based network( & doesn’t cost a fortune).

macbook pro/snow leopard.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark.

mdabreo - If you are having trouble after upgrading to iTunes 10 than WD is not alone - All the NAS models providing iTunes server functionality are broken due to changes on the iTunes side.  Also make sure that any issues you are facing  are not specific to your local network configuration.> Otherwise if you are just unhappy due to usability/configuration related issues then I would advise you to look for entry level models from Synology or Qnap - both make extremely versatile NAS. These are linux based with great user interface and customer service looks more responsive.  > From mac compatibility perspective both support standard protocols - SMB,NFS, FTP, AFP - with  time machine backups, itunes server etc. and the list of features is far more than WD. > * * *
mdabreo wrote:

Hello,

I’ve not been able to get my itunes working, even though I’ve  tried several solutions that i’ve found through this community &  other online advice, it still doesn’t work. i’ve given up on the mybookworld, can anyone suggest an alternative NAS Storage device (with the same functionality) that actually works within a mac based network( & doesn’t cost a fortune).

macbook pro/snow leopard.

Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark.

AngryTapir - Thank you for your response. I’m guessing most devices will get firmware updates to cope with iTunes 10. I feel that in addition to my issue, it seems there are other users reporting their own issues with WD Nas devices e.g. functionality/ compatibilty issues with Macs, online Firmware updates not working, weak customer support. This has probably lead me to look elsewhere for a similar device, but without the issues. Do you have any thoughts on Apple Time capsule, Apple TV & Netgear NAS devices ? Cheers Mark

You need to be clear of your use-cases and then decide which one fits better - each one of these is a very different kind of device.

I would encourage you to do your own research, but my understanding is that if you are looking for shared storage then Synology/Qnap provide far more features/performance/cost benefit even at entry level models.  You can compare the product datasheets for features etc. For performance comparision see:  http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_nas&Itemid=190 .  Additionally Qnap/Synology UI is far better than Readynas. > Apple TV has no local storage and cannot stream from any shared storage except Macs/iPad. Time capsule has its own issues - costly, single disk system with somewhat questionable reliability. > * * *
mdabreo wrote:
AngryTapir - Thank you for your response. I’m guessing most devices will get firmware updates to cope with iTunes 10. I feel that in addition to my issue, it seems there are other users reporting their own issues with WD Nas devices e.g. functionality/ compatibilty issues with Macs, online Firmware updates not working, weak customer support. This has probably lead me to look elsewhere for a similar device, but without the issues. Do you have any thoughts on Apple Time capsule, Apple TV & Netgear NAS devices ? Cheers Mark

Thank you for your advice. Cheers Mark