WD MyBook won't show up on the PC

One of my external drives - the WD MyBook - will show up for a while on my PC. But then it’ll just disappear. The little light goes off but I can still feel the whirring. I’ve tried all the USB ports on the computer and it’ll do the same thing every time. Any ideas on what I need to do? Thank you.

M. Powell

Here’s an update. I’ve tried connecting it to different USB ports and it still wouldn’t work. So, tried using a different cord from a drive that I know is working, but it didn’t work either. Do I need new cords? Would someone please help with some advice? I’d really appreciate it. There’s a lot of important paperwork on that external drive. Thank you.

M. Powell

Hi Kylesgranny,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

Thank you!. I’ll get in touch with them.

This may sound crazy, but I had the same problem. The WD book worked for about 15 minutes and then always stoped and was not recognized. I noticed that it was always too hot. So I put it in to the freezer and it worked perfectly,nonstop. So I could at least transfer my files to another drive.

I wonder if the WD drives have any thermal protection that stops them from working at some temperature ?.