WD MyBook Studio II suddenly empty!

Hello everybody!

I’m having a serious problem with my WD MyBook Studio Edition II (1 TB).

Earlier today, I started up my Mac (10.10.2) and the drive is shown to be empty!

I’ve used the WD MyBook Studio for about 5 years with my MacBook Pro, connected through Firewire 800. I have never had any problems with it, even on Mavericks everything was fine.

I recently got a new iMac, it’s running Yosemite. The WD MyBook was connected through Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. It’s RAID 0 configured.

It worked perfectly well for about 4 days - until a few hours ago.

Is this a known issue? I would appreciate any help on this, there’s over 500 GB of data on there.

Thanks a lot!


Tech Specs: iMac (2014), OSX 10.10.2, WD MyBook Studio Edition II 1 TB, RAID 0, Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt

I should add, I connected it to my old MacBook Pro (running Mavericks) again, but it shows up as completely empty there as well!

Tried connecting through USB and connecting through the drive’s second Firewire port, too - all to no avail.

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

You can make sure the power adapter of the unit is connected directly to the wall. Perhaps it could be a power issue.

Just tried it - no luck. The drive still appears to have no data on it. :frowning:

Also, for the past years, all my gear has been plugged into extension cords without any problems. Doesn’t seem to make a difference if it’s plugged directly into the wall or not. But thanks for the suggestion.

I had your same issue, but I was with a Mac mini and Mavericks (but was just starting to think to update to Yosemite: how extensive this but is!)

I could not recover the content, but at least I could recover the drive:



Hi Paolo,

I had read your thread even before posting mine to see if your case was the same as mine. But the problem in my situation was that the drive did not behave strangely in any way. It mounted properly just like everyday - it was simply empty all of a sudden.

The drive itself will probably continue working normally but, of course, I don’t want to write new data over my (hopefully still existing) old data.

(Not to mention that this drive is clearly far less trustworthy now… )

I’m in contact with WD support but I doubt there will be an easy solution to this. :-/