WD MyBook is mapped as network drive, but will not connect at startup

Our MyBook 2TB is connected to the network via ethernet, it is mapped as a drive, “reconnect at login” is checked, yet it has the red X on the drive until we click on it - then it works perfectly fine.

This happens on 3 W7 machines as well as 2 W8 machines.

There is no password assigned to it, and it never fails to work as it should after you click on it, but that little popup at startup saying that windows couldnt reconnect all netowrk drives happens every time it boots.  We’ve tried remapping it, adding credentials, changing the port it’s on… Literally everything we could find on Google or here, and nothing seems to make it reconnect when the machines start.

This is only a real problem because Carbonite can’t reconnect to it even after we click on it, so it needs to reconnect when the machine starts or our backup won’t run properly.

Any ideas?  Am I missing something?

iRub1Out wrote:

Our MyBook 2TB is connected to the network via ethernet, it is mapped as a drive, “reconnect at login” is checked, yet it has the red X on the drive until we click on it - then it works perfectly fine.

This happens on 3 W7 machines as well as 2 W8 machines.

There is no password assigned to it, and it never fails to work as it should after you click on it, but that little popup at startup saying that windows couldnt reconnect all netowrk drives happens every time it boots.  We’ve tried remapping it, adding credentials, changing the port it’s on… Literally everything we could find on Google or here, and nothing seems to make it reconnect when the machines start.

This is only a real problem because Carbonite can’t reconnect to it even after we click on it, so it needs to reconnect when the machine starts or our backup won’t run properly.

Any ideas?  Am I missing something?

That just means your computers are not scanning your network fast enough. Check if you have the problem with a hard wire connection.

Supposedly, there’s a GPO setting (for systems that even use it) to disable network mapping until the network is completely up and running.  

Searching Google for this issue, there’s any number of fixes for it.

I have tried several of those “fixes” and they dont change anything.  There is no difference network wide upon boot.

How do I know what the scan interval is?  Is there any way to change that?  

It’s connected to the network at 1Gbps.  Hardwired produces the same result on every computer besides the one it’s connected to via USB - it’s connected to the network via ethernet and mapped.

EDIT:

I Googled both responses, to the best of my ability I dont see anything that I either havent tried, or isnt even related to my situation.  Regedits, remapping, adding credentials, we’ve tried that - several times - to no avail.

You said the PCs potentially scan the network too slowly, do oyu know how I can change that or why this would be?

Further info:

I tried adding some files to my server and mapping that folder as a drive through other PCs within the network, which did not produce the same type of issue I keep having with the NAS.  So the PC to PC is perfectly fine, but the NAS on a HP gig PPoE switch, mapped correctly, always has issues.  Both on W7 and W8 PCs

So nobody else has this issue? 

Is there not a way to have it connect correctly as a mapped drive in windows?

It’s got  red X at boot, I click on it, it works just fine and no more X - BUT it happens every time we start them up.  The above fixes didn’t solve anything.

YOu can try adding a shortcut on your desktop to the mapped drive.  I seem to remember it made a difference for me in terms of the red X.