WD MyBook Essentials External to Internal Unallocated

My external 2TB drive became unallocated after a power surge. It wasn’t recognized by my computer anymore and was making a slight buzzing sound. Thinking the power port might have been compromised, I removed it from the casing and put it into my pc as an internal drive. The drive is not recognized in My Computer but recognized as “unallocated” in Disk Management. After several days and attempts of using recovery/lost partition software, etc. nothing worked. I’ve now just read that the drive is encrypted and will never be recognize, which leads me to my questions:

1. If I purchase a new external casing and put in my hdd, should it work again?

Or

1. Can I reassemble the hdd into the portable casing and bypass the power by using my onboard power cable directly into the motherboard?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

In addition, I have data on there I don’t want to lose so formatting is not an option.

Hi, tp answer your questions:

1. This will not work, as the encryption is attached in the PCB that came with the drive and is unique to every unit.

2. I am not sure that this will work, and I wouldn’t attempt it as it may damage the drive and make the recovery harder.

I would suggest you to contact a professional data recovery company, they should be able to get your information out.