Wd "my passpot for mac" 500gb

I desperately need help. Got the following screen shot messages regarding my Time Machine and My Passport for Mac. My disk maybe full - but can’t get in to check. Should Time Machine delete oldest backups when disk is full. I’m an elderly lady and I’m worried I may do more damage if I mess about. So any easy to follow instructions would be appreciated. Or should I just get a new hard drive?

Hello,

Based on the information you have provided I believe your drive is not working properly. I recommend you backup your data to another location, and attempt to reformat the unit.

If that doesn’t work, replace this drive.

Click on the link below to verify if your drive is still under warranty.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply and help. Can you tell me if I format my disk will I lose all old backups and also do I need to ‘partition’? Once I’ve formatted the disk, how do I set it up again to my Mac? I know these questions may sound stupid, but I worry about making a mistake.

Hi,

Yes, the first link I provided gives you instructions on how to format for either Mac or Windows.
Also, I recommend you backup the data prior to formatting the drive, as it will erase everything that’s currently inside the unit.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply and help. I followed your instructions and my WD my passport for Mac is working again.