WD My Passport Ultra (Metal Edition) 2TB not working properly

My WD My Passport Ultra (Metal Edition) 2TB is not working properly. I haven’t had any issues with my hard drive until last night. I tried to copy an 800mb file from the drive to my desktop but it can only copy until 60% of the file. The speed then goes to 0mb/s until it says that “File can’t be copied. Drive F: doesn’t exist.”. It’s like my laptop can somewhat read the hard drive for only 30 seconds and it’s gone. I searched the internet for solutions and somehow linked to download the WD Drive Utilities. I tried downloading the WD Drive Utilities and did a drive status check. For the first thirty seconds it is plugged in, the software says that SMART status passed. After that 30 second window, when you run a drive status check again, it would now say that SMART status failed. There’s also a tab for Drive Erase, I tried erasing the data but it would always fail. How can i fix this problem?

PS. I read a discussion that if the drive had a SMART status fail, the drive can no longer work and the only thing that can be done is for it to be replaced.

Hello,

Try replacing the USB cable and if possible try on another computer as a troubleshooting step.

I have tried using another USB cable and plugging it on other laptops and PCs, unfortunately, the drive was still not read.