WD My Passport Ultra - Can't delete files on Win7

When I connect my driver to a Windows 7 PC, I’m able to put files on the drive, but I’m unable to delete those files. If I start deleting, the classic progression bar comes up, which never stop. I waited a long time, but after 1 hour I can’t believe it can’t delete a 5 MB file…

I have a laptop too, it had Windows 10 before, and I could delete files there, but then I switched it back to Windows 7 and the same happens there.

Any idea? I don’t use any WD programs, I do everything manually in the explorer

OFF problem: I don’t know if it matters, but it can’t use the 3.0 USBs. It has the matching cable, it should be able, but when I connect it to a 3.0 it only gets power, I’m not able to reach it with the explorer.

Hello, BALAZS_FERENCZI

Well, those files which are not deleting on the PC might be used by the operating system or any software which is using those files, try to have a look at the task manager and find the appropriate application which is using those files.

Hi Rocky.S

I connected my Passport. The only thing I saw were some system stuff (E.$LogFile (NTFS Volume Log) and E:$Mft (…) and stuff like that. I waited some time so these things disappear or something reappears… then the same thing happened like when I delete stuff: my stytem “froze”, as in not screen freeze, but programs wouldn’t start, youtube videos would stop, everything would stop and not work. When I pulled out the passport everything continued to work (for example I started a windows explorer, but nothing happened, and when I pulled out the thing the explorer came up).

Something’s really weird here. Nothing is using the Passport according to the Resource Monitor. I checked SMART, everything’s fine. Maybe do a chdsk?