WD My Passport for Mac - Data not accessible anymore (but still showing)

This weird problem never happened to me before. I’m then taking the opportunity of this forum to share it with you hoping someone could be of some help.

I bought a 2 To WD My Passport for Mac in New York beginning of February. I stored over 250.000 pictures in some 100 folders on it and it worked fine until last Saturday on two different MacBook Pro (one Maverick, the other 10.8.x) as well as on a older Mac Pro under 10.8.5. But on Monday, everything changed.

The drive is still mounting (but very slowly) on the computers. The folders are still showing (but it takes time to show them) but it quickly became impossible to access the data or to copy it. The Mac Drive Utilities did not see any thing wrong at first. The WD Disk Utilities is blocking when I try to use it. And finally Drive Genius is giving some information. It still sees all the files but when ask to rebuild the drive or perform any other task when it would need to unmount the drive first, it always (after a relatively long period of time) come up with the same answer : “Impossible to unmount the drive”.

Any idea what the problem might be ? And how to solve it ?

Thanks for your help…

Hello,

This could be an issue with data corruption or even the drive itself. It may be possible to still extract the data utilizing data recovery software. There are several kinds of Data Recovery software available. If you do a  web search for  Data Recovery  it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.

After you recover the data then you can try formatting the drive in order to use it again.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer…

I have a data recovery software on one of my computers (Stellar for instance; works perfectly with CF cards, never tried it on a full HD)… I’ll try that and will keep you posted…

So far, before I could not extract any data, I was (but very slowly) capable of copying some folders. But not anymore.

That’s why I thought it was maybe more of a technical issue (the controller of the drive itself ?) than any kind of file corruption…

Your opinion ?

In the meantime I’ll try the data recovery…

Hello,

If a data recovery software cannot recover the data then a data recovery company should be able to recover it. We have a list of recommended  preferred data recovery partners that you can use for data recovery services.

Might be a good idea in the end but, at the moment, it might seem a little too much…

Could I recall the fact that the drive is actually mounting and all the files are to be seen on the computer…

Couldn’t it (just ?) be a problem with the “controler” of the drive (I don’t know the actual term in English) that prevents the data to be accessible ?

If it wouldn’t ruin the warranty (and if the box wouldn’t be sealed), I could eventually try to read the drive on an external dock ?

ET