WD My Passport Essential 500gb- do you want to format it now? (NO!)

It is a very frequent question posted in various threads but i need a more specific answer. Ill tell you why I have 300 GB worth data i need to transfer before i format the drive. I am sure that the error was a result of a lot of unsafe removal acts by a careless friend who borrowed it from me. *I tried chekdisk to no avail. Everything turns real slow once i plug in the device, so troubleshooting in windows seemed like real stressful *I tried an live CD version linux ubuntu but both manual and automatic mounting was unsuccessful The only solution that worked well for me was that i was able to mount the device successfully using an ASUS EXPRESS GATE OS (Technology developed by ASUS and introduced with their P5E3 motherboard that utilizes Splashtop, which is a Linux environment that is integrated onto the motherboard)…now here comes my trouble. My motherboard got burnt before i could actually do a recovery(long story)… I am sure my hard disk data can be copied using it. Can somebody please provide me an insight into this accidental discovery? why ONLY express gate seems to take a liking for my otherwise hopeless portable hard disk? you might as well be providing an alternate and maybe best ever solution to this problem. PS: I tried to search for a freeware Splashtop or HyperSpace OS that is similar to express gate…with no results please help…

Have you tried recovering with a Linux CD?