I have a 1TB My Passport USB 3.0 hard disk (WDBACX0010BBK-01). I bought it about six months back. It had been working great up till now.
The drive was attached to my computer USB port when i turned the computer on. The last time I shutdown my pc the drive was okay. After turning on the pc i opened up My Computer expecting the Unlocking Drive to show up however it didnt show up. I tried to refresh the window but it got stuck.
Now since then the drive has been showing the same behavior. When i plug the drive into the USB port:
- the usb device icon appears at the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
- the drive shows up in the System Device Manager as “WD My Passport 0740 USB Device”
- When i go to My Computer right after connecting the drive the drive doesn’t show up. Upon trying to refresh the window gets stuck until i disconnect the drive from the USB port.
- The drive itself doesn’t show any abnormal symptoms when connected. Its white LED blinks sometimes intermittently and sometimes constantly. I can clearly feel the drive rotating without any abnormal sound. It also gives sound as if a read/write operation is taking place.
- I do hear one single click after about 3-5 minutes of the drive being plugged in. But none afterwards… the drive keeps rotating and LED light stays operating as well afterwards.
- When i unplug the drive i very briefly see the i:\ drive in the My Computer window.
The USB cable seems fine and so does the connector. I didn’t drop the drive. However i had a practice of not removing it when shutting down or starting up my pc. Basically i was using it as a permanent external drive.
I can’t really figure out the problem. Need anyone’s help… Data recovery is of priority here!